Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Tyranny of Dragons: Continues Rot 3 2020

Tyranny of Dragons: Continues Rot 4 2016 7 years 8 months ago #1447

• Sarge
As Andy may not be able to join us for a little while, please see the following narrative:

It had been obvious to all, even with all his eccentricities, that all was not well with Jebedo.

Ever since the strange occurrence in Waterdeep, he had appeared withdrawn, as though he wanted to be somewhere else. But he said nothing.

Following the meeting of the Council, and the discussion with Leosin, preparations were being made for their trip to Boaresky bridge. Finally, Jebedo broke his silence.

“I’m not coming”
“What you mean, you’re not coming?” came the reply
“I’m not coming, there is something I have to do which you will not understand, and I haven’t the time to explain”
“So, that’s it then, after wall we have been through?” replied Maria

Jebedo shrugged his shoulders

“I have to go, whether I’ll be back, I don’t know. If I am able, I will find you. If not, I bid you farewell and hope you are successful in all your endeavors”

There was a perplexed look on everyone’s faces, yet it was obvious that there was nothing further that could be said. Though short in stature, he certainly made up for it in tenacity
With a nod, Jebedo turned and was soon lost in the throng of Waterdeep.

---

Dave and the narrator were in discussion

“Where’s he off to then” said Dave
“There’s something important he has to do, related to the dilemma everyone is facing in the Sword Coast.”
“Yeah, but where is he going?” Dave replied indignantly
“That information is not for you to know at this time. Only if Jebedo desires it can it be revealed”

Dave was unhappy, why couldn’t he know, was he not to be trusted with such information. Time for a worm he thought, he always contemplated matters better on a full stomach
Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Sarge.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tyranny of Dragons: Continues Rot 4 2016 7 years 8 months ago #1449

• Inept
  • Platinum Member
“Ere be holdin’ dis”, Flint’s eyes were wide as he lifted the huge black greatsword…
Without thinking Maria took the longsword Flint offered, and thought nothing more of it. Her concerns with Flint’s seemingly rapturous face grasping the dark blade. Having felt its effects, Maria was immediately concerned.

She barely noticed sheathing the longsword, any more than she noticed the simple logic of shedding her scimitar and shortsword, both of which were heavy, and largely unnecessary in the given circumstance…

There was no denying though that, in the ensuing battle to defeat the cult within the castle, Flints’ new sword was the difference between success and failure. Maria remained concerned, but Flint still sounded like Flint, and nothing untoward had happened. Unless of course you counted the capture of a flying ice castle, the transportation by teleport spell to Waterdeep, and the summons to the Lords council as untoward…

Maria was concerned only that they continue their mission. But it appeared that the endless politics of the council, and conflicting views would slow any progress to a crawl… did they not know the cult were already stealing a march? Maria’s frustration grew, had it not been for the bright steel of her longsword, a fine elven weapon, she would have thought the world a transparent and ethereal place, with no means of affecting the physical reality.

It was certainly a welcome change to be charged with going to seek another Wyrmspeaker. This one, the dwarf, was apparently a 10-day ride from Waterdeep at a place called Bodskir bridge. The hard riding and the continued lack of real rest left the entire band tired and strangely quiet. Only on the 5th day did Maria realised that Jebido was absent. She had to be reminded that the Gnome had left a note, stating that he was required elsewhere and had to leave. Maria stroked the sword, feeling more in tune with its soft hilt and smooth blade. She began to wonder how Flint had given it up, but realised quickly that the sword wasn’t destined to be placed with such a fickle creature, the Dwarf has cast it away in favour of a dark weapon of evil power…

Reaching Boskir Bridge, the band quickly identified possible locations for the Dwarf Wynspeaker. The Serpent Hills were legendary, the presence of the foul Yuan-Ti made the serpent hills a place of forboding. The Dwarf’s trail was easy to follow. His dozen strong followers seemed to delight inflicting damage on the grass, trees and shrubs blocking their way. The band quickly tracked the cult to an ancient town. Izzy identided the place as a small community built around the shrine of a long dead magician. The sorcerer was alleged to be an expert in divination magics and was sought after by kings and other powerful creatures for this skills. Upon his death the shrine became his tomb. The cult had obviously entered.

Bracing themselves against possible attack, and fearful of an undead wizard, the band sought entry to the tomb.

Massive statutes animated and spoke a warning…
“DO YOU SEEK WISDOM OR KNOWLEDGE?”.

Fearing attack, Maria immediately responded with the truth… “We seek knowledge”. The statues responded with instructions to ‘show respect’ but otherwise made no further moves.

Moving into the complex, the band entered a darkened hallway lined with heavily cowled statues. A voice advised that they “look away from the darkness or suffer the consequences”. An overwhelming desires to stare into the darkended cowls of the statues was only overcome by sheer will. It seemed that someone was trying to help!

Leaving the dark hallway, a well-lit area with a strangely impressive chimera motif on the floor was visible. The word ‘safe’ was chalked on a wall. A pair of bulging double doors were evident.. Stepping into the room, the mosaic on the floor started to ripple, and a strange chimera broke free. The creature flew to a ledge breathing hungry flames on the interlopers.

Maria drew her sword, intent on waiting for the chimera to descend, she waited.. Magical attacks from Oz and the Dwarven cleric rang out, and the sound of Izzy’s spell casting echoed in the small room. Suddenly the trifling and Flint, were engulfed in blackness, when it cleared they were gone!
Seconds later, the sound of Flint’s battle roar and the strikes of metal on ceramic from overhead surprised Maria. With nothing more to do, she waited with sword in hand for the creature to descend. Briefly she wondered about why she hadn’t used natures power to overwhelm the creature, but the sight of Flint and Izzy jumping down rendered such thoughts illogical. Sheathing the blade once more, Izzy noted that the creature was a construct of mosaic pieces, and noted that the magic was still active – caution was required.

Looking round, the group made their way through the door marked safe. A well in the centre of the room was surrounded by flesh mushrooms, a bright red plant with an unusual meaty but nutritious flavour. Of more interest was the well and the presence of a pedestal with a bowl in it. The waters apparently leeched away through a drainage system. But nothing more was evident.

Looking again at the bulging doors, Maria seemed to be the only one with concerns about a possible trap. Discussions took place but in the end, Elias was insistent that the image on the door, (of a divining pool), was their location. With help from his brother, the pair of them wrenched at the door, seeking to open it. Maria sought once again to persuade her fellows to exit the room, and started to feel some urgency, but as her hand sought the blade at her hip, it suddenly seemed a waste of time.

When the boulders crashed into the room striking the other members of the band, Maria barely noticed... they way ahead was blocked with rubble, the way impassable. Fortunately none of the band were seriously hurt. Maria applied healing so some of those affected hoping the object lesson would prevent future rash actions. She would live in hope!
Red Wine should always be opened and allowed to breathe....

if it doesn't apply mouth to bottle resuscitation.

Tyranny of Dragons: Continues Rot 4 2016 7 years 8 months ago #1450

• Sarge
Very much enjoyed reading your post Tony. Don't forget you have an D20 at your disposal.

The tale of the Dark Sword will resolve soon...

Tyranny of Dragons: Continues Rot 4 2016 7 years 8 months ago #1457

• Inept
  • Platinum Member
Boulder’s, Marias reflected, were bad enough. Considering the pain and suffering brought about by the pile of rubble and boulders over the mosaic floor, it seemed that the object lesson in patience and caution could be seen all around them as boulders. Patience and caution… good lessons to learn.

Magical healing aside, the only real damage done was to pride. So it was self-evident that any future precipitative actions were unlikely to occur.

Having dusted himself off, Elias, made to investigate the sloping passageway.

“Hold up Elias, I’ll come with you.” Maria figured two sets of eyes were better than one!

Elias looked a tad irritated but silently affirmed, his confidence obviously a little shaken. The two moved down the passageway, carefully seeking the anything unusual. The rest of the group followed a short distance behind.

Both druid and rogue stretched senses to the max. The slope continued on to an opening some 60’ further down. Something cold seemed to grab at Maria. There was something here that wasn’t right… the soft click of the pressure plate provided Maria an instant of warning. The shout of warning from Elias , was blotted out by the grating noise, and the sound of another boulder crashing off walls and obliterated screams of warning. Maria threw herself to the wall, a cold rush of air, and the feel of the grave grasped at her as a massive ball of bone rolled down the slope. Skeletal arms grasped at her comrades, she saw Flint grabbed by the mass and pulled inside it. Even Elias was snagged by the rapidly moving ball of bone. Maria ran after it in time to see it crash against a wall in the room below. Her friends, struggling to stand, were a mass of lacerations and bruises. Fortunately, all appeared to have survived…

You see Dave, just when we think they have it, BANG, two steps back, object lessons!”

“You said that before Nar, and frankly I don’t think it means what you think it means.” Dave sounded a little confused. “Look here, the definition: A practical or concrete illustration of a principle.”

“Well there you go then. Object lesson.” The Narrator sounded a tad smug.

“It talks about concrete. Not stone, and definitely not bone, and whilst I grant that being hit by two lots of boulders in as many minutes should be a lesson, I can’t quite understand how the object bit applies.”

“They got hit by objects Dave. Both times.” The Narrator caught the look in Dave’s eye and rapidly went on, “and if they had taken two steps back they would have avoided them!”

Dave fell silent. He supposed that was difficult to argue with. It had been bloody silly. Still, he reminded himself, sometimes you had to admit that folks putting down traps, were often better than those wanting to avoid them. It had to be that way, or the folks making the traps would give up and go home. So in a way, traps were an inevitable part of existence and were a necessary part of life in general. The trick was to avoid traps that killed you. If it didn’t kill you then by definition you had beaten the trap! Dave was a little happier...

It was just about then, that the band had looked at the room, and the bandaged uprights decided to put in appearance.

Having extricated themselves from the remains of the bone ball. Most of the band were still in state of shock. Elias and Flint faired better than most, and were checking the room. A narrow shaft of sunlight indicated a possible exit to outside, albeit only for diminutive creatures. The light illuminated ancient Tapestries with what appeared to be alcoves behind them. Flint move a tapestry to check, and received a Mummy in the face for his trouble!

Suddenly the alcoves exploded and Mummies poured into the room. Their undead touch causing immediate suffering. Izzy was grabbed by one creature, its bandaged hands covered in an unholy miasma, the stricken teifling screamed and dropped senseless to the floor. Flint and Elias were struck and similarly screamed as unholy power ripped into them. Oz tried to assist Izzy, but his divine healing seemed to stall, as the magic failed to enter her body…

“Cursed… their touch is cursed, it prevents healing!” Oz sounded a little panicked.

Flint hacked at the creatures, the huge greatsword’s effect was limited as its necrotic energy had no effect on the undead.

Maria fought to cast her spell, knowing that natures moonlight would destroy the creatures. She tried to force the words from her lips. The longsword came to her hand. She instead shouted a battle cry and hacked at the nearest Mummy. All thoughts of the spell, and the need were washed away in a tide of battle frenzy.

A voice called out, “By Moradin’s beard, I commend thee BEGONE!” Holy power washed out from the Dwarven Cleric. The Mummies as one, cowered and tried to leave the room. With no remorse the companions cut down the helpless foul creatures one by one.

Maria’s battle seemed to go on, something was very wrong. She should have remembered her spells and druid training. The light of reason warred with a compulsion to forgo her training. She would use the sword and ONLY the sword, it was necessary and right. Her compulsive desire rose like a tidal wave, to be met with flash of light.

She saw herself in the Glade of Offering, the other initiates stood with staff and sickle pledging themselves to the old ways. Maria stepped forward, holding forth the sword, it shined with brilliant red light, she started to pledge as she had once before, and the words stuck in her throat, a voice called out.

“You may have only one desire, the cursed sword that warps your very will! It or the OATH. Choose now.”

The strength of the vision penetrated Maria’s consciousness, she saw the cursed sword for what it was, an anathema to free will, masking years of hurt. It wasn’t malign in intent, but the weapon had caused deaths and misery to its wielders for decades, it had also wrought some benefits, but on balance it’s existence brought only chaos.

“I choose the OATH, I am one with the spirit of nature, it guides and protects me, I shall strive all my days to defend that which is nature’s bounty”.

The sword glowed brighter the world awash with crimson, as if fighting the softer glow of daylight and then the sword simply vanished.”

Within the halls of Diderus the Band were about to treat the fallen Izzy, when Maria, turned the blade in her hand on herself and thrust the weapon through her chest. The sword flashed bright and then disappeared leaving Maria on the floor.

“NARRATOR! What the hell just happened?” Dave was beside himself.

“Oh, yes that’s right, the sword does meet an end here. Nasty piece of work that weapons, got an unpleasant compulsion on it, something of a joke as I understand it, the cult handed the thing to mages that displeased them. Anyway its alright now… Maria’s Oath finally overcame the curse. It seems that once the sword put her friends in danger, Maria’s overwhelming desire to protect them summoned up the power of the Oath to defeat the curse. She’ll be ok in a minute… there look, she’s waking up!”

Feeling lost and still weak from her experiences, Maria, needed to rest. It was clear that Izzy was suffering from the effects of a curse, and the group needed to rest. Oz advised he should be able to remove the curse once his god had granted that power.

Maria awakened and was relieved to see Izzy up and about. The Teifling looked uninjured. Maria felt better than she had in ages. The absence of the cursed sword a blessing, and the chance to reaffirm her oath provided her with a sense of harmony.

Quickly deciding to move forward, the group retraced their steps to the room with the mummies, The remains now gone, either cleaned by scavengers or something else?

Opening one of the exit doors, the band found an empty room with crumbling shelves. Entering to look around, a presence formed. The spirit of a long dead mage manifested, claiming to be the librarian. She was Diderus former pupil, who stayed to look after the library. Flint helpfully pointed out that the library was no more, the books and scrolls were taken. The spirit keened and became angry. The Band retreated with speed leaving the spirit to her lament. Object lessons apparently do occasionally have success.

Choosing the only other door, Elias checked for more traps. Finding none, the rogue moved up some stairs that opened out into a banqueting room. Seated at a table were a number of creatures, green skinned with horns. Izzy drew sharp breath, “Devils!”.

“What? Devils ye say… Wee canna be avin’ that!” The Dwarf plunged forward with his typical battle cry!

And so it begins again... Dave was unsure... at least they were consistent!
Red Wine should always be opened and allowed to breathe....

if it doesn't apply mouth to bottle resuscitation.

Tyranny of Dragons: Continues Rot 4 2016 6 years 3 months ago #2631

• Sarge
Re-opening in preparation for next rotations game

The same bonuses will still apply: Wearing your Dave T-shirt and writing up the weeks events each gain you a D20 to use as advantage or cancel a disadvantage

Tyranny of Dragons: Continues Rot 2 2018 6 years 3 months ago #2636

• Bane
  • Elite Member
The one thing you have to know about worms is they are devilishly tricky creatures. No eyes or visible form of sense, but they instinctively know how to get out of the way of danger.

In a leaved tree stood a crow. To the casual observer the crow was looking in another direction, as if it hadn’t noticed the worm at all. To a keen observer the crow was keeping an eye on the worm waiting for the right moment. The crow hopped from foot to foot edging closer to the end of the branch where it was perched. Then a sudden hop and its wings opened as it descended rapidly towards the ground, the crowed leveled out after what would have been the last second and scooped the worm, with a flick of its wings it ascended circling until it was perched back on the branch.

“Ha ha! i have you now lumbricus terrestris, prepared to be devoured” said the crow to himself out loud.

The crow hopped down the branch on one foot holding the wiggling worm in the other, to a small aperture in the tree just big enough for a crow. Singing a song to no one

“I’m going to eat you little wormy, I’m gonna eat you little wormy”

Not the most original and captivating song, but it seemed to amuse the crow. It put is head inside the hole and rummaged around, finally pulling out a small salt pot. The crow lightly salted the worm and in one swift movement threw the worm into the air and swallowed the worm whole.

“Mmmm, that was good worm” said the crow to no one again.

“Dave” said a voice from nowhere. The crow froze. “Dave” said the voice again. The crow put its salt pot away, wiped its feet on a leave. “Dave!! Really you’re not going to talk to your old pal”

“You left me, they all left me, why should i help you now” said the crow to no one but perhaps the voice which was no one, so perhaps the voice is called no one.

“Well I’m back now”

“Stuff off Nar”

“Well that’s not very nice”

“It’s not nice leaving a young impressionable crow in a dangerous situation with mummies”

“Was it your mummy?” asked the voice

“You’ve been working on that all this while, haven’t you Nar?”

“Maybe!”

“You can still stuff off”

“Hey were back, Dave and Nar. Nar and Dave. The storytelling duo”

“It took me two months to get out, do you know how hard it is to open doors if you are a crow.”

“Dave we can lament on whom did what, and why this and that happened!” Dave cut off the voice.

“I have been on my own for one and a half years! You turn up out of the blue as if nothing has happened. Well it has Nar, a lot of stuff has happened. I founded the talking crow society.”

“Oh yes, how many members does that club have?”

“Well just me! But we have a badge” the crow pulled a bottle top out of the crevice.

“So you have a membership a little under a role playing society”

“Hey, it’s not that bad, it doesn’t matter what you say, I’m done so stuff off “

“I can see you are not to be trifled with Dave” Dave looked up quizzically, he did like trifle. “I can tell you are not interested in those shiny objects” Dave liked shiny objects, like his club badge. “I understand you are no longer interested in the groups continuing saga” Dave liked being involved in the stories. “It is clear you no longer desire to be Maria’s spirit guide” Dave did like being a spirit guide, when he advised the uprights, it made him feel………what was the word…….. superior. “I’ll be off then” Dave looked up suddenly.

“Er let’s not be so hasty, did that DM thingy request me back?”

“Why yes Dave, he promised that if Maria, Flint and all the other minions turn up in their shirts in a homage to you, they get extra points or something like that”

“You had me at Dave”

POOOF

Choosing the only other door, Elias checked for more traps. Finding none, the rogue moved up some stairs that opened out into a banqueting room. Seated at a table were a number of creatures, green skinned with horns. Izzy drew sharp breath, “Devils!”.

“What? Devils ye say… Wee canna be avin’ that!” The Dwarf plunged forward with his typical battle cry!

And so it begins again……
Moderators: Andy Boyne, mikeawmids
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds