Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: White Plume Mountain

White Plume Mountain 6 years 4 months ago #2544

• mikeawmids
  • Sadly, life can't be all gimps and mayonnaise.
My name is Shu and this is the story of my most honourable grandfather.

Despite his intimate familiarity with the hidden worlds of magic, the wizard Nim was unable to cure Sosho’s affliction. The blood of the man and the blood of the dragon had become intermingled. The only option was for Sosho to learn to control his new powers. As the months passed, other heroes joined the party. First was Porin the Cleric, whose hideously scarred face concealed a gentle soul. The half-elf bard Nroc Sekalf was next to join the fellowship. Finally, the monk Fen Wang attached himself to the party, drawn to their fortune as a fly is drawn to the droppings of a cow. My most honourable grandfather initially believed Fen Wang was a kinsman from the lands of Mulan, but soon discovered that the man’s name was as cheaply manufactured as his offer of friendship.

After adventuring together for a time and learning to trust one another in times of great peril, the party were hired by the merchant lord Strens Versi to investigate a series of gruesome murders in the city of Waterdeep. The body count was rising and the city watch seemed incapable of catching the culprits. Curiously, the gall bladder of each victim had been gnawed out of the body. A clue from the most recent crime scene led Sosho and his friends to the premises of Fullbelly the glassworker. Finding the shop closed, Nim cast a spell to unlock the front door. Nroc discovered a hidden trapdoor behind the counter and Fen Wang deactivated the cunning traps laid in the tunnel beyond.

In a sealed room below the artificer’s store, the party interrupted the halfling Fullbelly and his assistant in the midst of a terrible rite. The missing gall bladders lay stacked in a bloody pile in the centre of a glowing pentagram. Fullbelly’s head twisted all the way around (like that of an owl) to leer at Sosho and his companions as they entered that dread sanctuary. Then before the disbelieving eyes of my most honourable grandfather, the two halflings transformed into loathsome, toad-like demons! Nim later identified these foul creatures as Slaad, but at the time, all Sosho knew was that the world would be a better place without these two monsters in it. Drawing on the unpredictable power of the dragon blood beating in his mortal heart, Sosho hurled a ball of raging fire at the nearest demon!
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by mikeawmids.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

White Plume Mountain 6 years 4 months ago #2545

• Aka
  • Heroic Character
Just to put yu right,the half elf bard was nroc Sekalf. Your honourable grandfather was always sosho with his recanting of tales and should always leave it to the bard,who by the way was never drunk.
roll high or go home

White Plume Mountain 6 years 4 months ago #2556

• mikeawmids
  • Sadly, life can't be all gimps and mayonnaise.
My name is Shu and this is the story of my most honourable grandfather.

The underground room lit up like a furnace as Sosho’s sorcerous fire engulfed the lesser slaad. Despite the force of his assault, the demon seemed frustratingly indifferent to the flames. Nroc ventured within range of the slaad’s hooked claws and was nearly disembowelled for his trouble! The wounded bard backed away, clutching his belly lest his guts come spilling out into the unholy pentagram. Arston moved up to fill the breach and weathered a flurry of blows against his gleaming armour. Wang and Nim were faring little better with Fullbelly, who had produced an evil looking greatsword when he dropped his illusory guise. Things were looking grim for my most honourable grandfather and he may never have reached White Plume Mountain at all, were it not for Arston Flax. Channelling his righteous fury, Arston divinely smout (smited / smit?) Emptybelly, casting the demon’s blackened soul back down whatever foul crevice it first crawled from. Seeing his apprentice had been slain, the cowardly Fullbelly abandoned his ritual and fled the battle.

The wisdom of Nim: “Not every chest is a mimic and not every mimic is a chest.”

For his part in stopping the Gall Bladder Gutter, Sosho was given great honour by the ruling council of Waterdeep. The merchant lord Strens Versi fulfilled his promise and presented Sosho and his friends with a plethora of magical potions from his personal stock. Although they did not know it at the time, the party would need every fluid ounce within those precious bottles in the ordeal to come. Having demonstrated their aptitude and resourcefulness in the pursuit of Fullbelly, Strens Versi offered Sosho and his companions another contract. Three powerful artifacts had been stolen from the city and a cryptic ransom note had been magically delivered, inviting the council to try and recover the relics from beneath White Plume Mountain. The ruling lords had already dispatched three groups to recover the artifacts, none had returned. Now, Strens Versi offered my most honourable grandfather the opportunity to add his name to the growing list of casualties. I like to imagine it was a sense of duty to his friends that motivated Sosho to accept that doomed quest.

Sosho and his friends travelled overland to the village of Breckon. I have never visited this place, but my grandfather described the people there as innumerate, dishonourable rogues. The scoundrel Wang must have felt at home in the company of such poor rascals. The heroes departed for the mountain the morning after their arrival. I have heard the entrance described as “the wizard’s maw”, from which billow clouds of scalding steam like the breath of a great, stone devil. Brave Arston Flax ventured into the cave and discovered the burning fumes rose from a deep fissure in the floor. The paladin searched the area and found a metal trapdoor. With much exertion, he and Wang managed to force the rusty portal open, revealing a steep, spiral stair descending into the fiery heart of the mountain.

To light their way down the treacherous stair, Nim cast a cantrip that caused the gold piece in his palm to glow brightly. I fondly remember seeing the wizened gnome perform this trick to entertain my siblings and I when we were young. The spiral steps descended 100ft and ended in a partially flooded tunnel deep below the ground. Ahead, the tunnel branched into three dark passages. Guarding this intersection was a strange creature with the muscular body of a hunting cat and the face of a woman, partially hidden behind a curtain of wet, stringy hair. The guardian beast advised Sosho and his friends that in order to pass safely, they must answer her riddle. Two of the previous groups had managed to do so and continued on to meet their ends elsewhere in the dungeon, while the third party had answered incorrectly and had been consumed by the sphinx.
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by mikeawmids.

White Plume Mountain 6 years 4 months ago #2561

• crusader_hank
  • Heroic Character
Hi Andy

I have been updating my character (printing it out ) and it is only giving me disadvantage in heavy armour for stealth checks and it is saying nothing else is effected , I have checked google and this seems to be the case , but as I haven't got a players handbook (till Christmas) I cannot check in the book under heavy armour.

I wanted to mention it before tomorrow so that I can check properly

White Plume Mountain 6 years 4 months ago #2562

• Sarge
crusader_hank wrote:
Hi Andy

I have been updating my character (printing it out ) and it is only giving me disadvantage in heavy armour for stealth checks and it is saying nothing else is effected , I have checked google and this seems to be the case , but as I haven't got a players handbook (till Christmas) I cannot check in the book under heavy armour.

I wanted to mention it before tomorrow so that I can check properly

Disadvantage on Stealth checks is correct. However, you can't use any Dexterity bonus you may have to improve AC, you have to use the AC stated against whatever Armour type it is. The benefit I guess of this is that if you have a low Dexterity you don't reduce your AC.
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Sarge.

White Plume Mountain 6 years 4 months ago #2563

• crusader_hank
  • Heroic Character
cheers for the reply ,
that's great as my dex is low it doesn't affect the skill checks , I was concerned that it caused disadvantage on all thief skills

:)
Moderators: Andy Boyne, mikeawmids
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds