Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: R3: La Guerre des Mondes - Discussion Thread

R3: La Guerre des Mondes - Discussion Thread 7 years 11 months ago #1340

• fruitviking
  • Tenth Level
Thanks for writing that up, it was great fun to read!
The topic has been locked.

R3: La Guerre des Mondes - Discussion Thread 7 years 11 months ago #1341

• mikeawmids
  • Sadly, life can't be all gimps and mayonnaise.
La Guerre des Mondes - Part Two

Boots squeaking against the waxed wood floor of the ballroom, the revolutionaries closed in around the King's guardians. Most brandished clubs, but enough were packing pistols to give even Rugue pause. One particularly brawny bastard had bought along one of the huge hammers used for ship destruction along the riverfront.

"Throw down your weapons!" roared the man in the greasy greatcoat, "Don't even think about trying anything clever!"

"How about something dumb?" countered Rugue, throwing himself forward onto his belly and sliding along the waxy floor. Springing to his feet, Rugue's rapier flashed towards the men guarding the exit, cutting a bloody path towards the balcony overlooking the palace gardens. Taking advantage of the confusion Rugue's antics had sewn, the rest of the royalists surged forward! The man with the mallet took a swing at Andre, but the young scientist defelected the mighty blow with his shield -

"Wait!" Marcel cried, pausing to separate a disenfranchised peasant's head from the rest of his body, "You're a scentist! Why do you have a shield?!"

"It's... er, a special science shield," Andre explained, rather weakly (in the GM's opinion).

Stepping gingerly over the dismembered bodies that had Marcel left in his wake, Lisette and the Queen reached the balcony and looked down at the ornamental pond 10ft below. The dark water glowed hellishly by the light of the burning palace.

"After you, ladies." Rugue offered chivalrously.

"I can't do it!" Marie Antoinette wailed, "I can't possibly swim in this dress!"

"Oh, I shouldn't worry about that," Rugue said with a reassuring smile, "The water is only a couple of inches deep. I'd be more worried about breaking your legs."

"What?!" Lisette shrieked.

"Try not to land on your head!" Rugue added cheerfully, giving both women a firm shove.

"Agggghhhhhh!"

SPLASH!

Soaked to the bone, her dress clinging uncomfortably, Lisette helped pull the spluttering Queen out of the pond. There were a series of splashes as the rest of the royalists threw themselves from the balcony and into the water. Rugue appeared, dark hair plastered across his grinning face.

"You should get out of those wet clothes before you catch your death." he suggested hopefully.

"Oh, I cannot wait for Louis to grant that insufferable man his lands and title back," the Queen cursed after Rugue had passed, "Just so I can see his face when I take it all away again!"

---

With the King and Queen safely ensconced within the carriage, Lisette snapped the reins and spurred the horses into motion. Marcel and Rugue clung to the outside of the vehicle, ready to fight off anyone who tried to board, whilst Andre took a seat opposite the royal couple.

"Make way!" Lisette cried at the crowd of revolutionaries milling around the gates, but to no avail. Either too slow or too stubborn to move, the people of Paris failed to disperse before the horses crashed into them, trampling men and women under their thundering hooves! Although a skilled horsewoman, Lisette was unused to riding whilst under fire and her control of the carriage as it sped through the streets of Paris was anything but smooth.

"Do you have to hit every pothole?" Rugue demanded, gripping the side of the carriage with white knuckles.

Resisting the urge to slam Monsieur Pumpernickel's side of the carriage into a wall, Lisette turned onto the Pont Royal, one of several bridges crossing the River Seine. Wagons loaded with trade goods veered out of the royal carriage's path as Lisette weaved in and out of oncoming traffic. On the other side of the bridge, she took a sharp turn and spurred the horses towards the city gates. As the carriage approached, the great, iron portcullis began to drop!

"Everyone hold on!" Lisette screamed.

"Hold on to WHAT?!" Rugue screamed back.

As the carriage sped through the gatehouse, the falling portcullis clipped the rear of the vehicle, causing it to flip sideways in a terrible crash! Lisette and Marcel were tossed from the wreckage, both sustaining injury. Charmed bastard that he is, Rugue de la Pumpernickel emerged from the crash with barely a crease in his britches, whilst Andre and the royal couple were battered black and blue. While the carriage was wrecked, the collision seemed to have jammed the great iron portcullis in place, preventing the revolutionaries from rushing out and apprehending the royalists while they lay dazed and bloodied from the crash. Three of the horses had survived and while Marcel put the fourth beast out of its misery, the rest of the party saddled up the remaining animals. Riding double, the royalists galloped towards the east and the distant promise of sanctuary upon reaching the border.

To be continued....
Last Edit: 7 years 11 months ago by mikeawmids.

R3: La Guerre des Mondes - Discussion Thread 7 years 11 months ago #1346

• mikeawmids
La Guerre des Mondes – Part Three

The royalists rode hard for several hours, leaving Paris and their revolutionary pursuers in the dust cloud kicked up by their horse’s hooves. As the sun began to sink behind them, shadows lengthening on the road ahead, the group’s pace began to lessen as night closed in around them.

“We cannot push the horses much harder,” Lisette called out from her position at the front of the pack, “They need to rest or they will fail us long before we reach the border.”

Marcel grunted his agreement, swaying dangerously in his saddle. After the catastrophic crash that had totaled their carriage, the group had not had time to stop and tend the executioner’s wounds. While it was not in the taciturn fellow’s nature to complain, it is human nature to bleed and Marcel had been doing so steadily for the last few hours, splattering his mount’s flank with crimson stripes.

“Look there!” cried Andre, “Is that a barn I spy through yonder treeline? Mayhap that rickety structure might provide a moment’s respite whilst we rest the horses and tend to our ills?”

The barn appeared to be unoccupied, though it still stank strongly of the livestock that had once been stabled therein. Candlelight flickered behind the windows of a farmhouse on the other side of the plot, but there seemed little cause for the folk living there to visit the barn in the small hours of the night. Quietly, the royalists settled their horses and prepared to gather what strength they could before the next leg of their desperate flight. The King seemed mired in a melancholic despair, so Marcel began frying some delicious horse sausages to cheer up the miserable monarch. The smell of sizzling meat soon filled the barn, lifting everyone’s spirits.

“We should all get what rest we are able,” Marcel suggested, once everyone had eaten their fill, “We cannot linger here long and had best be away before sunrise.”

“Are we safe here?” Marie Antoinette asked, casting a fearful glance into the dark corners of the drafty barn.

“With my sword sworn to your defense, you are as safe here as you were at the palace!” Rugue boasted, puffing out his chest, “Well, up until the point that the rebels attacked and we had to flee for our lives.”

“Fret not, your Majesties,” Marcel added, glowering at Rugue, “I will take the first watch.”

---

The next few hours passed uneventfully. Marcel stood his watch, listening to the whisper of velvet wings as the bats nesting in the loft of the old barn fluttered out into the night in search of prey. Something large came snuffling around the door, perhaps attracted by the lingering smell of the party’s dinner. The executioner’s heavy eyelids were just beginning to droop when he heard another, considerably more alarming sound. A great howl of displaced air rent the silence, followed by a titanic, earth-rattling crash in the adjacent field. The rest of the royalist party woke with a start, crying out in surprise and fear as their rest was so dramatically disturbed – all except Rugue, who slept on, blissfully ignorant of the calamitous event.

“What was that?” King Louis gaped, rising from his bed of mouldy straw, “The Jacobins! Have they found us?”

“That sounded like a cannon!” Andre said, fumbling for his eyeglasses, “I thought they were trying to take us alive?!”

“My King, my Queen,” Marcel implored, “Please wait here while we investigate. We will leave Rugue to protect you.”

“That’s not my baguette….” Rugue mumbled sleepily, “My baguette has a bell on the end…. zzzzzzzzz.”

---

Warily, Andre, Lisette and Marcel inched out of the barn. The adjacent field was ablaze with red flame, in the midst of which lay a great, metal ship; half buried in the earth by the force of its landing.

“What is it?” Lisette asked, hanging back lest the drifting embers settle in her hair.

“It looks like some manner of vehicle…” Andre mused, edging as close as the heat would permit, “A horseless carriage for traversing the stars! But where is the driver? Surely he cannot still be trapped inside! My god, he’ll be burnt to a crisp!”

“No, look here!” Marcel called out, “Tracks leading away from the crater! They’re heading towards the farmhouse.”

“They are so small!” Lisette gasped, staring at the tiny footprints, “Could there have been a child upon that curious vessel?”

“Only one way to find out for sure,” Marcel grunted, turning his steely gaze towards the isolated farmstead.

---

The night grew colder as the royalist trio moved away from the burning field. The farmhouse before them looked to be in as poor a state of repair as the old barn they had hidden in. The front door yawned black and inviting as the maw of a serpent. Andre crept up to one of the shuttered windows and pressed his face up against the weathered wood.

What he witnessed inside the farmhouse almost caused him to lose his mind!

In one corner of the squalid room into which the young scientist peered cowered a family of four; a man, his wife and their two young daughters. What they were cowering from defied description; Andre could scarcely credit the evidence of his eyes, so strange was the creature that menaced the poor family. It was no taller than a human child, but with a great, swollen head glistening with green slime, encased within a bubble of transparent glass. Two bulbous eyes goggled from within this curious helmet, wide and unblinking. In its hand, the creature held an alien device, the like of which Andre had never seen.

“Ack? Ackackack! Ack!” the creature barked, pointing his strange weapon towards the quavering farmer.

“Ooh ar! I don’t ken what manner of beastie you be,” pleaded the man, “But don’t you be harming my young ‘uns!”

“Ackack? Ackackackack!”

Without warning, the creature activated the device, firing a beam of green light into the farmer’s chest! Instantly, his rough, homespun clothes burst into flame and his ruddy flesh melted into a foul puddle of pink goo! All that remained of the unfortunate man was a grotesque, green skeleton!

“Agghhhhhhh!” screamed the farmer’s wife.

“Agghhhhhhh!” screamed the farmer’s children.

“Agghhhhhhh!” screamed Andre, recoiling from his peephole and tripping over his own feet.

“Ackackackack!” screamed the creature, twisting around and firing another blast of green light at the shuttered window, passing through the space that Andre’s body had occupied not five seconds earlier. Andre, Lisette and Marcel stared at the creature through the ragged hole in the farmhouse wall. The creature stared back at them.

“What in God’s kingdom is that thing?” the executioner cried, exhibiting the bare minimum of manly surprise required when confronted by the unknown.

“Bleeuurrghhh!” gushed Lisette, noticing the smoking, green skeleton sprawled at the creature’s (tiny) feet.

“Ackack? Ack!” the creature barked, aiming its weapon at Lisette’s head.

Launching himself forward, Marcel hurled his trusty head lopper at the murderous creature. The blade bounced off the hardened shell of the creature’s helmet, leaving a long, spidery crack in the glass. Almost immediately, the creature dropped its weird gun and collapsed onto the floor, rolling around like a fish out of water. After a minute of wild thrashing, the creature became still; its long, green tongue lolling obscenely from one side of its mouth.

“I don’t believe it can breathe our air,” observed Andre, picking himself up off the floor and pretending he had done something more heroic than collapse into a gibbering heap at the first sign of trouble. Exhibiting greater courage than he had when the thing was alive, Andre crouched beside the creature’s corpse and held his nose close to the crack in its helm, “Smells like… methane? Has that been discovered yet?”

Marcel picked up the strange weapon the creature had wielded and turned it over in his hands. Damned if he could make sense of how it worked. Shrugging, he tossed the device over to Andre, who immediately dropped it.

“Well, looking on the bright side,” Lisette added sunnily, “At least Robespierre’s men didn’t take advantage of our distraction to recapture the King and surround our position with overwhelming numbers.”

“Ahem...."

The royalists turned. Robespierre’s men had taken advantage of their distraction to recapture the King and surround their position with overwhelming numbers. Rugue waved sheepishly and was clobbered with a musket butt for his trouble.

“Salaud!” Lisette cursed.

To be continued….

R3: La Guerre des Mondes - Discussion Thread 7 years 11 months ago #1347

• antidog
  • Heroic Character
Nice write up! You deserve a benny for that. Oh... Wait a minute...
Why does my D20 only go up to 4?

R3: La Guerre des Mondes - Discussion Thread 7 years 11 months ago #1348

• mikeawmids
Haha, I'm awarding myself an extra three bennies!

Maybe four, since I forced myself to watch Starship Troopers for enemy ideas and that movie grosses me out something fierce. :p

R3: La Guerre des Mondes - Discussion Thread 7 years 11 months ago #1349

• fruitviking
  • Tenth Level
According to this, methane had been discovered by the time these events took place, and a scientific type like Andre would quite likely have read of it somewhere.
Moderators: Andy Boyne, mikeawmids
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds