Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Tyranny of Dragons: Continues Rot 3 2020

R2: Tyranny of Dragons 9 years 1 month ago #233

• Bane
  • Elite Member
We sat down and took a short break. We saw the Governor giving out instruction to the militia, he noticed us but left us alone, as we all sat taking in what had and was still happening, the hardest part is listening to the screams, but even those start to become fewer. Still the dragon flew, circling the village as if conducting an orchestra, was all this the dragon’s plan?

I don’t remember who said something but we all got up as one and went to see the Governor. He gave us a mission to clear out an escape route, a tunnel from the keep that runs down to the stream.

We cleared the boxes that blocked the door.
“Right then who’s got the key” asked Issy
“Er?”
“What Key?”
“This door clearly has a lock, and surely the must be a key?”
“Have you looked under the mat?”
“No, hang on” small pause “Nope”
“Stand back this is job for me” I say. I break open my old locksmith kit, I haven’t used it since my departure from the citadel. The comfortable feel my old trusted tools in my hands brought back memories, some of them happy. The lock yielded quickly and I swung the door open theatrically.

EEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRR!!! The hinges whined and everybody turned and looked at me. For making such a school boy error, I took point.

Flint followed behind me it was dark and gloomy, but we had decided to go without torches so as not to illuminate the end of the tunnel giving away its whereabouts to any possible looters.

Rats by their very nature are survivalists, they adapt to poisons and disease quickly making them tough critters to kill. In the Citadel rats know not to be seen by a dwarf or it is ratkebab. So it was a pleasant surprise when a veritable feast of rats ran at us I however did not expect them to swarm, surge, swell and bite as they did. This was a new experience and not a pleasant one, they bit me and Flint , we slashed out at them killing a few but the swarm remained largely untouched.

“Don’t hurt the poor creatures, they are only protecting their home” Says Maria
”Whoot, OW! OW OW! They’re bloody hurtin’” Exclaims Flint.
“They don’t understand, they don’t mean it. C’mon little rats, stop that, stop it I say” cries Maria
I slash out at them again, killing a few more, and move off further down the tunnel.
“Stitch that says Jebediah !!” as he fires a fiery missile at them, they really don’t like at the same time Flint strikes out at them and the now decimated swarm decide in the name of survival to run off.

We move cautiously down the tunnel and it comes to a grating, the lock on it is rusty from lack of use and exposure to moisture. I open my tools again and carefully pick the lock, oiling it and the hinges where necessary, a gentle “Click” and the lock is mine.

We pick up the sounds of a group of people moving in and around the stream, searching for something, probably this secret passage. They seem incredibly well informed. We carefully push open the grating and Issy, Jebediah, Maria and myself slip into the cool night air, leaving Flint behind because he makes more noise than a band of Morris Men dancing. The smell of burning rides loosely in the air, the night is filled with light from the stars and the fires of the town. We quietly move into position. Jebediah, quietly says the words of power and two of the six Kobold raiders fall instantly asleep, meanwhile I take careful aim with my bow, release, and hit a human cultist straight in the throat a quick silent kill. Maria readies her javelin……

Visualise what you want to achieve, Maria thinks to herself. She closes her eyes for the briefest of moments, but in that time she has visualised drawing her arm back, bringing her arm forward releasing at the precise moment. The visualisation continues the javelin soars through space and time always on course, true, and always deadly. The look on the Kobold’s face as it sees it too late to move, and knows this life is over accepting the inevitable, the javelin strikes through the throat and is an instant kill.

…………… she draws back her arm and releases, this is not on target and will not hit the throat it’s too low. The Kobold blissfully unaware of an imminent danger treads on something. It feels cold and metallic, in his eagerness he turns round and bends over to pick up the coin. The javelin arcs through the air, if it had eyes and hands, it would use them to cover its eyes. The Javelin enters a passage killing the kobold.

“Oh no you didn’t” Says Issy
“Oh yes she did” says jebediah
“OOH!”, everyone friend and foe alike exclaim.
“Nasty”

The remaining cultist and three Kobolds, try to exact their revenge and a Kobold runs up to me and stabs me in the stomach with its knife. That really hurts, Flint comes running out the tunnel enraged killing the Kobold in one swift movement. The battle is quickly over and all that is left are two Kobolds who try to run away, unsuccessfully.

Maria turns he attention to the sleeping Kobolds, killing them where they slept, mercilessly.
“Rats you have a problem with, but sleeping Kobolds?” Says Issy
“Too right” Maria replies.

“Wish I had a bow” says Maria
“Why didn’t you get one?” I ask
“Where from?”
“Er, were we not just in a keep?”
“Yes”
“C’mon put it together”
“Nope sorry, I’m not following you”
“Get a bloody bow from the armoury, it’s a keep!!”

We hide the bodies so no one will ever know anything has happened. Satisfied we have done a good job we turn and enter the grate, locking it behind us.

A crow in a nearby tree, settling down for the night watched the battle intently, whilst eating a worm thing it found in the town. Dinner and entertainment, this is one hell of a place it thought. Then the humanoid shape creatures start burying the bodies of the other humanoid shape creatures. It hears the words “No one will ever know”, it surveys the carnage, the flattened grass, the blood left to soak in the ground. The only thing missing from the scene of carnage are the bodies, a relatively inexperienced tracker would be able to figure this out. But hey what would I know I’m only a crow. As it watches the one group enter a passage and shut the door behind them.

A short while later, they re-appear, and they have a new humanoid shape with them, the tree is comfortable but this is too good to miss so the crow takes off to follow them.

We got back to the keep grabbed a quick drink and the Governor gave us another mission, to stop the raiders burning down all their grain in the mill. We went back through the tunnel and are now using the stream as cover so we can get a close as we can without being seen.

We spy a group of humans at the front of the mill, and notice that the fires have been set a short way off from the mill so as not to burn it down, we realise it is a trap but cannot figure it out.

“Elias, go check it out” Whispers Flint, I go and move as quietly as I can and get behind the mill, my intention was to scale the wall and get on the roof, but it is too wet and slimy. So I circle round the back of the building, I look through a window and into a dark barn, it is hard to see in. So I chance a peek round the corner, and get spotted. Within seconds OZ is by my side and I can hear Flint kicking off. I move and shoot a human but he remains standing Oz, moves up and kills the one with a wicked blow, and nearly kills the other one. He strikes back at Oz and draws blood. Before I can move Oz kills him. Flint. Jebediah Maria and Issy’s fight must have gone well as Flint opened the door of the mill and entered, all I heard was the sound of t Flint’s grunt and metal resting on the floor.
“NOOOOOO” I cry, but am too slow to move, Oz enters the building, and is stabbed with two spears he strikes one killing him and exits, obviously wounded by this attack, he could not reach Flint. Issy is casting her own brand of magic and a vile unseen by anyone is picked up and poured into Flint’s mouth. The magic potion instantly raises him. Maria uses nature, making roots appear in the mill entangling all in its path. I step up and can see Flint, who has broken free from the roots but is surrounded by enemies, I strike on of them blocking the door but he does not fall.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R2: Tyranny of Dragons 9 years 1 month ago #235

• Sarge
What a great write-up! A different style, and made me laugh too.

Cheers Bane, you've earned your D20 mate

R2: Tyranny of Dragons 9 years 1 month ago #241

• Inept
  • Platinum Member
Guerrilla tactics
The flight through the village now complete, Maria was able to take stock of the surroundings, it became clear that matters had improved only marginally. Whilst the imminent danger to those inside the keep was past, the presence of the marauders outside, not to mention the dragon, dictated that simply waiting would not be sufficient to survive this battle. On a more positive note, her foster family numbered amongst those in the keep. But there was no time to exchange pleasantries the activity inside the keep slowly seemed to attain some from of order. The Governor was organising the defenders and it came as no surprise when the summons arrived.

Without preamble, the Governor clarified the tactical position. it didn't look good. "We need to group to clear the escape tunnel in case we need to use it. It may also help us launch sally's into the village. Will you help?" With no real choice, everyone agreed.

Finding the entrance to the tunnel in the keep store room, the half-elf dwarf picked the lock with causal ease. The darkness beyond beckoned.

Without warning swarms of rats launched themselves on the group, but between magical fire, and deftly applied weapon strikes the creatures fled into the darkness. Maria was taken aback by the sight of the Dwarf Flint, biting the head of a dead rat, and then complain about the lack of spice. Revulsion at the barbaric act gave way to acceptance. Her elven tutelage had mentioned that dwarves were barbaric, money grabbing, misers, concerned only with honour and despoiling the world around them, but essential they were 'good' and as such should be tolerated. Maria reminded herself that she had more cause to praise the dwarf than to reproach him for his eating habits.

They reached the other end of the tunnel (a corroded metal gate), and the half elf rogue was able to once again open the lock. However outside more of the marauders, kobolds and their human masters appeared to be searching for something.

Moving with stealth, the gnome wizard, the rogue and Maria, quickly positioned themselves and surprised their adversaries. Seeing the despoilers of her adopted home standing with weapons dripping blood, Maria felt her rage engulf her. Barely waiting on the wizard to cast his magic she threw her spear, impaling a kobold and pinning it to the floor. The other members of the group charged, and their was a short (but savage) fight. Two escaping kobolds were slain before they could raise the alarm. Checking the remaining kobolds, Maria noted two were still spellbound, and quickly put them to the sword, drawing a disapproving look from the Drake Cleric. Let him think what he would, these creatures were evil and had carried out barbaric acts against her friends and her village. Let him feel so noble and spare his hand were their positions reversed!

Still feeling anger towards the reproachful look from the cleric, Maria joined the others in the keep to report that the way was clear. Still brooding, Maria had to force herself to calm, taking the valuable time to rest whilst the Goverrnor considered the next steps. A short time later, the adventurers were summonsed again.

"The marauders are attacking the town mill. It looks like they intend to burn it. We need the mill intact or it will bode ill for the winter. Use the tunnel, and skirt the village. Free the mill and hold it until I can organise a proper defensive unit."

The Sargent at Arms provided healing potions, and more equipment, and once again the group moved out.

Careful to avoid patrols, and staying in the outskirts of the village under cover, Maria chaffed at the slow progress. every seconds' delay would mean more damage. But the adventurers would not be rushed, and if she was honest with herself, Maria knew she was inadequate to the task on her own. Eventually they were in position to see the Mill. Fires blazed around it but the mill itself seemed intact. despite the activities of the kobolds and human guards stood next to it. Maria was about to launch an attack, when the half elf, held up a hand. " Something isn't right! This is a trap". Not quite sure what the confused half elf was saying Maria was still keen to attack, but it was decided that he should take a closer look. Maria watched the rogue sneak toward the building, and move through the stream. he disappeared around the side of the building, but something must have occurred.. The guards and kobolds suddenly gave a cry. without pausing to think, the dwarf broke into a run, shouting battle cries. This triggered an all out assault on the marauders, with the dwarf leading the way. Maria shot one kobold with her (newly acquired) bow, and wounded a second, spellcasting from the gnome also managed to lay low the enemy. Emboldened by the Bard's exortation of his virtue, the battle crazed dwarf killed a human guard and rushed round into the corner frantically trying to get to his half-elf 'brother'. Maria arrived just in time to see the dwarf enter the mill, the grunts of pain and the clatter of armour clad dwarf hitting the dirt betrayed the outcome. The Drake cleric attempted to rescue the dwarf but was driven back wounded by spear wielding attackers.

With no way to help her dwarven comrade without suffering the same fate as the cleric, Maria called on the power of nature to entangle all those within the mill. Vines rose from the earthen floor, and quickly bound the attackers, preventing them from killing hapless dwarf. through the twisting foliage, Maria saw the dwarf rise, somehow he had received aid... Now they had a chance, if the hearty dwarf could survive this, Maria promised herself she would supply him with a rat supper herself!
Red Wine should always be opened and allowed to breathe....

if it doesn't apply mouth to bottle resuscitation.

R2: Tyranny of Dragons 9 years 1 month ago #242

• Sarge
Another great write-up, loving the detail of the posts.

A D20 is yours Inept

R2: Tyranny of Dragons 9 years 1 month ago #245

• Mr. B
  • Elite Member
THEN

"Hold my hand - and don't let go!"

The child gripped his father's hand tighter than ever. Tighter than the day he received his first tattoo, mere hours after his birth.

"I won't."

"We must move fast. Your mother and family are waiting for you outside of the citadel. I will get you to the gates and then join you as soon as I can, once I've seen to the Dauphin and the other wounded"

"I... understand."

"What's wrong, son?"

"I'm scared." said the boy, like he was embarrassed and admitting a dark secret. "I'm sorry. I've let -"

"I am scared too" said his father.

The child was shocked. After a moment, the child sputtered, "But I thought followers of Tempus and the Order of the Blade aren't supposed to be scared. I thought we were to be brave and strong all of the time"

The father, paused. Despite how pressing the time was, that they were mere seconds away from death, he turned and held his son's hands.

"My son. If this is the last lesson I teach you - then it is an important one. For light to exist there must be dark. For the sun to burn, there must be the moon to cool. And, for war to exist there must be peace. To be brave, one must understand what it is to be fearful. Bravery only exists because of fear. And we need only be brave when we need to be brave. To appreciate its true strength, is when it is truly required. Fools tend to be those who 'bravely' wander into the fight without their fear there to steady them, to make them think, to avoid fatal errors. Do you understand?"

"I think so. Thank you, father."

"Now we must hurry, or the Shape will be here. Gather our things and -”

NOW

Damn. I thought I’d never have to actually relive such moments again. It’s the smell that did it. Took me back. The smell of burning –

I know how they feel. The children in this town of Greenest. Children always suffer the most. Loss of home, innocence - and sometimes somethings worse.

The only consolation they may have is that they can rebuild. The Shape took everything from us.

From me…
Last Edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Mr. B.

R2: Tyranny of Dragons 9 years 1 month ago #246

• Sarge
Really impressed on the quality of the posts. Big thanks to the authors.

Mr. B have yourself a thoroughly deserved D20
Moderators: Andy Boyne, mikeawmids
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds