Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Curse of Strahd (Discussion)

Curse of Strahd (Discussion) 6 years 2 months ago #2708

• mikeawmids
  • Sadly, life can't be all gimps and mayonnaise.
Garuda wrote:
Mike-
Edwyn is created as a regular rogue. For his expertise I chose double proficiency in Investigation and thieves' tools - so basically to search for traps and clues, and to disarm traps and open locks - the essential rogue skills.

His background is criminal - for his speciality I created a witch-hunter (it seemed suitably gothic-horror). It's a variant in name only, I took only the extras granted by the criminal background in the 5e player handbook. There's no splat here.

Criminal grants me thieves' tools. I already have them as a rogue. The background rules say that if tools are duplicated I can replace them with any other. I've chosen the poisoner's kit. But can't actually afford the 50gp to purchase such a kit at the moment.

I've got one more language to choose. I've not played Ravenloft before. Any suggestions for a useful language to take?
Is there a pantheon specific to Ravenloft?

Cool character. + 1 inspiration die for posting concept & portrait to thread.

There is a new background called Haunted One in the CoS book that might be suitable for Edwyn;
Skill Proficiencies: pick one from Arcana, Investigation, Religion or Survival.
Languages: pick one exotic language.
Equipment: Monster Hunters Pack, one gothic trinket.
Feature: Heart of Darkness: Those who meet you can see in your eyes that you are no stranger to darkness. Commoners may fear you, but will also help if you if they can.

If you prefer to keep the criminal background, that's fine.

Regarding the poison kit, happy to waive the GP cost of you factor in some kind of hindrance. For example, maybe Edwyn needs to brew a special antidote regularly to counteract a poison/disease he contracted whilst opposing the forces of evil? What happens if he doesn't take it?

Common is the predominant language in Barovia. If you need another, you might consider Abyssal, Druidic, Elven or Infernal.

Barovia functions like a realm unto itself in this setting, adventurers get drawn here from many different worlds. In this instance, use the Forgotten Realms pantheon. Once you are in Barovia, there will be little evidence of gods of any kind.
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by mikeawmids.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Curse of Strahd (Discussion) 6 years 2 months ago #2717

• Aka
  • Heroic Character
Abreas Khul barbarian of the hutha clan.Son of Marla clan chieftain. Our ancestors are everything they ate to be revered saught after and communicated with for all important clan decisions. It was during one of these visions that I saw and conversed with my great grandfather. Unfortunately I am now haunted by my grandfather who is with me at all times including during battle. My tattoos are my link too my ancestors and each tattoo represents a great battle and also my coming of age.
roll high or go home

Curse of Strahd (Discussion) 6 years 2 months ago #2739

• Sant
  • Platinum Member
Ok, cleric of kelemvor.. More to come.

Curse of Strahd (Discussion) 6 years 2 months ago #2748

• mikeawmids
  • Sadly, life can't be all gimps and mayonnaise.
Party dynamic (so far);
Rogue (Garuda) Edwyn of Teufeldorf
Barbarian (Aka) Abreas Khul
Cleric (Sant) Tannith
Ranger (TheRanger)
??? (Gekz)

Awesome character concepts from Garuda and Sant. I'm kinda' envious, they both sound like they'll be a blast to play as! Some follow up questions...

Garuda: Does this organisation Edwyn belongs to have a name and what is their symbol? How do members recognise one another in the field?

Aka: I love the idea of Abreas being visited by his ancestors. With your permission, can I create a recurring NPC to fit into this concept?

Sant, TheRanger & Gekz, looking forward to hearing more about your characters!

Feel free to have your first level characters rolled up for week one on March 1st. I'll give them the once over to make sure you don't have 3x fifth level spell slots (Ted...) and we can hop straight into the game. :)
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by mikeawmids.

Curse of Strahd (Discussion) 6 years 2 months ago #2750

• Aka
  • Heroic Character
Go ahead Mike had the idea it could be my grandfather or similar
roll high or go home

Curse of Strahd (Discussion) 6 years 2 months ago #2751

• Sant
  • Platinum Member
The Lament of Epona

Epona Whitehorse’s life started out on the wrong side of decent. Orphaned at an early age her memories of her parents were sparse, confused and clouded. It was fortunate Father Redwith took her into the Temple of the Sun and saved her from the workhouse. Until her coming of age she aided the priest as he cared for the temple of Lathander, she prepared the incense, tended the flowers and helped wash the vestments of the clergy. She cleaned the armour and oiled the chain of the Dawnguard clerics who’s rising sun emblazoned their cloaks and shields, an irresistible sign of the Lathander’s light. However, as shadows drew in from the dark corners of the world she felt a detachment from the ways of Lathander and Amaunator. The clergy and the Dogma of Lathander she found without structure and lacking of control.. Whilst accepted into the fold and bequeathed the divine blessings of the sun she ached… and in time rebelled… A plague came to Cordor and death surrounded her, an un natural pestilence the result of foul machinations of those who would seek to prolong life by un natural means. The church stood helpless. She angered.. Forsaking her god, she fell into darkness and left the city, the acrid smells of the burning pyres etched into her recollection for ever. Falling from grace left a void in her heart which was soon filled…

A Doomguide passing through the village she had taken refuge at as a healer spoke to her with the voice of him, extended his hand and took her with him to the tower of skulls and the Cathedral of The Martyr Saint, the regional base of the most holy Eternal Order. Kelemvor spoke to her in her dreams and she rose quickly through the ranks of the sisters, initiates and acolytes and upon the cleansing of Burwich Hollow, achieved her knighthood, at an unnaturally young age. Epona was gone, the name, Tannith she took in honour of the mortal lover of her beloved and malevolent god.
Now she does His work and carries forth His Dogma unto the dark corners of the world and to the un-knowing. The endless struggle against those who would embrace undeath, judging those who would trifle with powers they know not, meeting out His justice to the abominations of the world.

Recognize that death is part of life. It is not an ending but a beginning, not a punishment but a necessity. Death is an orderly process without deceit, concealment, and randomness. Help others die with dignity at their appointed time and no sooner. Speak against those that would artificially prolong their life beyond natural limits, such as the undead. Do honor to the dead, for their strivings in life brought Faerûn to where it is now. Forgetting them is to forget where we are now, and why. Let no human in all Faerûn die a natural death without one of Kelemvor's clerics at her side.

She is Tannith, Chapter Mistress of the Eternal Order.

Attachment not found

Tannith is created as a standard Cleric class using a background form the Sword Coast Advenbturer’s Guide (Knight of ‘The Eternal Order).
I have given her the Divine Grave Domain which is fitting for her background as a Kelemvorite and taken the Human alternative option which allows her to take the Healer feat.
Languages are selected as Abysall (the spirits that make up the wall of Kelemvor’s city of the dead are demonic) and Undercommon (for questioning undead and restless spirits before dispatching their asses back to where they belong).
She is proficient in History, Insight, Medicine, Persuasion and Religion.
Moderators: Andy Boyne, mikeawmids
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds