Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: R1 2020 Was Blades in the Dark, now D&D5e

R1 2020 Blades in the Dark 2 years 10 months ago #5304

• mikeawmids
  • Sadly, life can't be all gimps and mayonnaise.
So it looks like we are good to go.

Some things to think about;

The Scoundrels: Rather than build a character from the ground up, you choose from a selection of playbooks and refine the template to create a scoundrel that is unique to you. Your options are; Cutter (dangerous & intimidating fighter), Hound (deadly sharpshooter and tracker), Leech (saboteur and technician), Lurk (stealthy infiltrator), Slide (manipulator and spy), Spider (devious mastermind) or Whisper (arcane adept and channeler of spirits). Ideally, there is only ever one of each archetype in play at any time.

The Crew: The scoundrels you play are part of a crew. While individual members may retire, go to prison or just straight-up die, new villains will rise up to replace the fallen and the crew will go on. Each crew has a speciality with associated perks, and your choice will determine which kinds of score net you the most experience. Your options are; Assassins, Bravos (mercenaries/thugs), Cult, Hawkers (vice dealers), Shadows or Smugglers.

I'm thinking we will likely create characters and complete an introductory score on week one, then delve into the crew mechanics from week two onwards.

The City: Blades... takes place almost entirely within the city of Doskvol; a haunted, industrial cityscape shrouded in perpetual darkness, surrounded by crackling lightning barriers to keep the undead horrors of the Deathlands at bay.
Or as the author puts it in his introduction; "You're in a haunted, Victorian-era city trapped inside a wall of lightning, powered by demon blood".

Dice: You'll need several d6, about six of them each.
Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by mikeawmids.
The topic has been locked.

R1 2020 Blades in the Dark 2 years 10 months ago #5305

• mikeawmids
Hello Sarge and Tom!

My brother has just bailed and I think two players is maybe one too few to maintain a campaign, so I am gonna' table Blades until a later date.

Do either of you have anything that would be suitable for such a small group?

R1 2020 Blades in the Dark 2 years 10 months ago #5306

• Tom
  • Tenth Level
Hi Mike

I've not run anything for a group that small before except when I was practicing a DND prewritten adventure to do with the scouts but that involved my Mom and Dad running 3 characters each.

R1 2020 Blades in the Dark 2 years 10 months ago #5307

• JIm
  • Heroic Character
I have no idea how to play but I will be happy to join :-) .

R1 2020 Blades in the Dark 2 years 10 months ago #5308

• mikeawmids
Ok, full disclosure; I don't have as keen a handle on the Blades rules as I would like to feel comfortable running it. I love the ideas in the book, but it requires a completely different mindset to what I'm used to. The idea of running it tomorrow has filled me with dread, especially as I am so out of practise DM'ing (damn you Covid!)

I am happy to fall back on what I do know and run a homebrew D&D game, if folk would be interested in that instead.

Apologies for the bait and switch. :s
Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by mikeawmids.

R1 2020 Blades in the Dark 2 years 10 months ago #5309

• JIm
  • Heroic Character
Im happy with either.
Moderators: mikeawmids, Andy Boyne
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds