Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Too many continuation games?

Too many continuation games? 4 years 9 months ago #4061

• Andy Boyne
  • Heroic Character
If we have sufficient moderators then we can ask one, who happens to be running a game that rotation, to unlock the games registrations threads on the agreed date.

In that way, we avoid moderators getting early access to signing up.

Thoughts?
The topic has been locked.

Too many continuation games? 4 years 9 months ago #4072

• Sarge
It kinda makes sense that where possible the moderator doesn't unlock a game he is intending to sign up for, just to avoid a conflict of interest.

It may not always be possible, I get that

Too many continuation games? 4 years 9 months ago #4075

• Inept
  • Platinum Member
mikeawmids wrote:
It might be a good idea to call a 10 minute break tonight to explain to everyone what the new system will be.

Is this about right...?

1: GM posts game.
2: Mod locks recruitment thread.
3: 4 weeks before new rotation, Mod unlocks all recruitment threads, in whatever order they like, as long as they all get unlocked at the same time.
Multiple mods or one designated mod acting as early as they can that day.
4: Players sign up, the first # to post in a thread secure a seat at that table.
5: If you are too late to join your first choice, pick another game or run something yourself.

It might be disappointing not to get your first choice, but that probably means that someone else did, which is good for the club as a whole.
Talk to the GM of that game and they might agree to run the same adventure again for a different group of people.

@ Mel: people will know if they are/are not in a game if they are among the first # to post in that thread. If there are 4 spaces and yours is the fifth post, then you know you need to look elsewhere.

Probably also worth ruling now that you CANNOT post for other people, ie: me posting in a thread that both I and Andy want to join.

All
I have some concerns that some comments on this forum are being closed down without any proper justification/discussion (recent examples Jim/Garuda). I am concerned because in he absence of a formal constitution all members of the club have a voice with equal weight currently and no one member holding more weight than another. so closing down individuals with absolute comments (however nicely done!) is wrong and unacceptable. We all have a equal voice at the club. Equally this can, and obviously has led to frustration about a lack of action, and some absolute statements and decisions have been made to try and find a way forward (this is perfectly understandable). This thread has become longer and more convoluted because those wanting (quite reasonably) changes are suffering from a lack of authority to make those changes, so good ideas are lost or not actioned because inertia takes over. Those individuals who want to make changes and trying to push forward (for the good of us all) are hampered because the membership as whole a will need to agree them, hence the extensive posts and other ramblings. In practice, given the current arrangements changes need us all to agree (or a simple majority to agree), before any changes are made. and that appears to be difficult to do.

I know I've said this before, but the solution is to form a committee, and properly constitute a chair and others to act on behalf of the club. That way individuals wanting change can - by mandate of the membership - exercise discretion to implement things with no need for recourse to the entire club. The current situation needs be changed to remove some of the angst from the situation and provide a basis for folks who want changes to make them without feeling the frustration or guilt about making them. it is also needed so that folks like me who have concerns over the changes can make representations to a group who have the power to address my concerns, and if necessary tell me to shut up or take on board my comments to make incremental changes for the good of us all!

So what I propose is that we have a formal committee (small is better than large but hey that's up to the membership), with a formal constitution (I am happy to write this if folks want me to). On that basis I nominate the following as committee members (they will need a seconder)
Sarge
Mike
Mel

(feel free to nominate and second any others you want)

once we have members seconded (along with anyone else that wants in) the membership of the club will need to vote by show of hands to elect these worthies in. They can then act on behalf of us all to resolve any matters within the constitution, and will make decisions based on queries raised with them in a proximate time so we don't have these long rambling threads. More importantly we will then have RULES not guidelines.

This approach will empower individuals to make the decisions they are already making, and remove the potential guilt over making them. it will also mean we can close this god damn thread!
Red Wine should always be opened and allowed to breathe....

if it doesn't apply mouth to bottle resuscitation.
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Inept.

Too many continuation games? 4 years 9 months ago #4076

• Garuda
  • Platinum Member
I think any person wanting to be part of a committee should first volunteer rather than be proposed.

Having said that, if you're volunteering Tony - I'll second you.
"Gentlemen, we're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun" - Capt. E. Blackadder.

Too many continuation games? 4 years 9 months ago #4081

• Inept
  • Platinum Member
Garuda wrote:
I think any person wanting to be part of a committee should first volunteer rather than be proposed.

Having said that, if you're volunteering Tony - I'll second you.

Merely observing the posts on this thread by those individuals I assume that they are already acting in those roles whether they believe they are or not :), they have volunteered thermselves...
And no ... I hate being on committees. happy to support anyone that is, but its not really my bag.

All I have suggested is a way for democracy to run its course without creating potential angst and strife along the way for all parties whilst providing workable solutions..
Red Wine should always be opened and allowed to breathe....

if it doesn't apply mouth to bottle resuscitation.

Too many continuation games? 4 years 9 months ago #4100

• Garuda
  • Platinum Member
What's this Tony? Not cut out for committees? Don't tell me you're a shrinking violet??? B)
"Gentlemen, we're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun" - Capt. E. Blackadder.
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds