Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Too many continuation games?

Too many continuation games? 6 years 7 months ago #2373

• Steboacha
  • Heroic Character
Sounds like a good suggestion for a one off.
Rotation 7 might be a good time to try it if people are gonna be around.
Otherwise it runs the risk of people ending up in a game they don't like for a whole rotation.
You're on the other side of the rabbit hole. Now it's time to die.
The topic has been locked.

Too many continuation games? 6 years 7 months ago #2374

• Sant
  • Platinum Member
Personally, a blanket randomizer would not get my vote. People know what systems or genre they like or are willing to try, I wouldn't want to be in a game that isn't floating my boat.

Too many continuation games? 4 years 9 months ago #3912

• Andy Boyne
  • Heroic Character
Hi everyone,

I’m re-activating this discussion as we didn’t really reach any conclusion.

If the majority of the club are happy to continue as we are then that’s fair enough and I won’t post any more on the subject.

However, take the current rotation - rotation 4. We have 3 full games with 6 players each and 1 game with 1 player. I appreciate attendance can be more variable during summer holidays but this sort of set-up isn’t going to help us to attract or retain new members.

Should we limit group sizes to 5 to ensure we have a minimum of 4 games for each rotation? Should we also break up the groups that seem to play together the vast majority of the time so that we can have more Game Masters and more options?

I would be grateful if all players could provide their view.

Too many continuation games? 4 years 9 months ago #3913

• mikeawmids
  • Platinum Member
  • Sadly, life can't be all gimps and mayonnaise.
I don't think it's a big problem at the moment, but I think it is worth discussing.

We have two continuation games running in R4. Last I checked, this was the limit we (kinda) set. Any more than 2 continuation games in one rotation could cause problems, but that's not the case in R4, 5 or 6 (yet).

We have a game (Star Trek) pretty much full of relatively new (or returning) members, which I think is good. We do need to ensure new members are integrated with veteran/existing members in future rotations, but that is determined by our recruitment process.

Moc does have 2 players in his Pathfinder game (Ian & Vic) and it ran tonight. Any new members who turn up can be put into that game and then sign up for whatever else goes up in R5 & R6. As long as we have somewhere to put new members who turn up unexpectedly, I think we're good and R4 is covered in this respect.

Group size is determined by what each GM is comfortable with. For me, I prefer 4 (5 at a push). I was already thinking about asking if anyone signed up for Runelords in R6 would be prepared to drop out to get the player count down, so I'll go ahead with that.

I do think more GMs and more options would be good for the club, but that will be determined by how many people put their names/games forward. We are seeing new faces behind the screen; Ross has run a game, Tom is running SW in R5 and Luke is talking about putting something up in 2020. The Fistful of One Shots & A Few One Shots More events worked really well and there is word of something similar going up in R6.

We are getting a bit 'clicky' though. I'm guilty of this too, I'm playing with the same group of people for pretty much all of 2019. I don't know what we can do to force people to mingle, other than encourage people to put their names forward for different games. This is not helped when a lot of games tend to go up with the majority of seats pre-filled, following conversations at the club.
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by mikeawmids.

Too many continuation games? 4 years 9 months ago #3914

• mikeawmids
  • Platinum Member
  • Sadly, life can't be all gimps and mayonnaise.
Maybe we change recruitment process so that recruitment threads are locked for one week after they are posted. Players can see them, but not post their interest. After one week, we unlock the thread and people can start signing up? This gives more people a chance to notice when a game goes up and get their name down, instead of it filling up immediately.

I also suggest that we ban GM's from filling any seats at their game before it goes up on the board.

Restricting games to 5 player MAX cap is not a terrible idea.

GMs on Roll20.com have a process where interested players post their character concept in the recruitment thread, then the GM offers spaces to the players they think best suit the game. This does create opportunities for favouritism, however it would be pretty easy to spot & police if this did start happening.
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by mikeawmids.

Too many continuation games? 4 years 9 months ago #3915

• Sarge
mikeawmids wrote:
Maybe we change recruitment process so that recruitment threads are locked for one week after they are posted. Players can see them, but not post their interest. After one week, we unlock the thread and people can start signing up? This gives more people a chance to notice when a game goes up and get their name down, instead of it filling up immediately.

I also suggest that we ban GM's from filling any seats at their game before it goes up on the board.

Restricting games to 5 player MAX cap is not a terrible idea.

I've been an advocate of these kind of measures for some time, as these type of threads keep coming back. So isn't it about time we nail it down once and for all?

If it needs someone to say these are the rules now, then I'm more than happy (as people generally look to me around these kind of things anyway) to make these our gaming policy

Here are the proposals then

1. Really like the idea of game proposal threads being closed initially, so much so, see Game Proposal thread...
1.1 Post your game up to Game Proposals then ask for thread to be locked. If anyone wants to become a moderator for this, please shout up
1.2 Thread will automatically be unlocked a week before Rotation starts
2. No pre-filling games following discussions at the club. Doesn't mean you can't discuss, you just can't promise seats
3. 5 players max, unless there are exceptional circumstances e.g, would mean turning someone away from the club
4. Keep with a max of 2 continuation games per Rotation

Please encourage everyone to get online and use the website! Any website or user issues, please speak with MellyMel
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Sarge.
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds