• crusader_hank
  • Heroic Character
;)

Cheers for heads up
The topic has been locked.

[R6] Storm King's Thunder - Discussion 7 years 5 months ago #1726

• fruitviking
  • Tenth Level
Jaya stretched her limbs and rotated her torso back and forth, trying to work out the stiffness of her new studded leathers. "I'll definitely take this set," she called to the shopkeeper. "Are you sure you want the brown?" asked Daphne, "the black leathers look really good on you." "No, I'll stick with the brown. People see you wearing black leather and they tend to jump to conclusions. Brown looks less threatening - a little more respectable. Have you chosen yet?" "Well, I thought about this one" - Daphne indicated a set of leathers - "but it's cut for a man's build." "Why don't you take my old set - it's fitted for me and the stiffness is all gone, anyway I'll only have to carry it around and I doubt it's worth much."

Daphne agreed, and while Jaya paid for her new armour she pulled on the rogue's old set of leathers. Romero purchased a spear and handed it to Daphne. Jaya was vividly reminded of her eighteen-year old self, standing in a more-or-less straight line with the other peasant conscripts, listening to the hoofbeats of the approaching barbarian charge. There was a crash outside, as if something heavy had fallen. Romero told Daphne to stay inside and both he and Jaya went to investigate.

The town was in chaos. A boulder had smashed against the guard tower in the centre of town. Townsfolk were fleeing away from the gates and Jaya saw two towering figures advancing along the main street. "Rufious has gone that way to help hold them off," shouted Romero. "Dragor has gone up the tower. We'll take this side." So saying, he drew his mace and ran to join the half-dozen guards who were nocking arrows and taking aim at several orcs riding huge broad-beaked flightless birds. Jaya slipped around the side of the building and took up position at the corner, but her crossbow was well out of range.

Just then an object came sailing through the air towards her. Jaya just had time to register that it was a farm cart, then it smashed through the roof of the shop she had just left. She saw a red-bearded giant beyond the tower lower its arm, then begin digging in the earth near where the cart had stood. Oh gods, no. She scrambled up on the caved-in roof, calling to Daphne, but heard nothing. Just then an orc riding an axebeak rounded the other side of the tower, flanking Romero and the guards. Swiftly dropping out of sight behind a mass of splintered timber, she took aim and fired. The orc toppled from his mount, dead. Romero and the guards were holding their position, though one of their number had fallen to the vicious axebeaks. Jaya picked off a riderless bird and then sprang down to the back door of the shop, which remained intact. She flung it open to see Daphne and the shopkeeper, half-buried in rubble. The man was plainly dead, his head crushed, but Daphne seemed whole, though caked in dust. Jaya hauled her out and wiped off her face. "Daphne? Daphne, wake up... please wake up."

[R6] Storm King's Thunder - Discussion 7 years 5 months ago #1733

• fruitviking
  • Tenth Level
Dear Daphne,

I cannot say when this will reach you - if it will reach you. It seems as if our little band are the only travellers in this region and I have seen no one to whom I would entrust a letter. Perhaps once we are out of the Evermoors I can find someone. If by some miracle you do read this, bear in mind that I have already paid the bearer, so don't let them gouge you for any more! I hope you are feeling better now and the people at the inn are taking good care of you. If you feel well enough to get up, please ask if anyone has seen my boy Bran. He'd be about 16, a Sword Coast boy but still with something of the Shou about him in his skin colouring and eyes.

Day 1: Triboar to Yartar
We followed the giant tracks towards Yartar, meeting a party of monks and a paladin of Lathander on the north road. They wished us well but obviously had business elsewhere. At Yartar a fisherman begged our aid to deal with a monster that was attacking people along the river. We hesitated, for fear of losing the giants' trail, but they seemed willing to pay, so off we went a-hunting. Our half-orc druid was not happy with this and refused point-blank to join the chase. The 'monster' turned out to be a giant crocodile and several of its young. We managed to kill all of them after a chaotic battle during which Romero broke his shiny new lance in the beast's jaws and I nearly got crushed when Dragor's thunder spell rolled the big one on its back next to me. Our sorcerer is certainly full of surprises - he threw something from a bag at the crocs which turned into a giant goat! Everyone was very heroic (for my part, I kept my distance and used my crossbow - best to leave the close-in stuff for those who are suitably dressed (like Romero) or who just don't care (like Barent). Rafeus seems to have learned some magic, which I wasn't expecting from a ranger, but which came in useful nonetheless.

The fisher-folk paid us three hundred gold and while Barent and the others were carving up the big croc's body for trophies, what should they find inside its stomach but the body of some poor druid who had gone out to pick herbs but had ended up as dinner. However, he did have a few useful magical items on him which we claimed - yes, I know how you feel about robbing the dead but the poor old man had no family and the trinkets might be useful to us. We returned his body to the river and let the current carry him away.

We've entered the Evermoors. We met this funny old dwarf crouched over a stream this afternoon - said he was panning for 'imaginite'. Seemed a few arrows short of a quiver - as Rafeus would say - so we left him to it. It's getting towards night now. Rafeus says he can sense the living dead all around us - they can keep away, I want to sleep tonight!

[R6] Storm King's Thunder - Discussion 7 years 5 months ago #1736

• moc
  • Elite Member
It has been a bitter sweet day. After the combat with the orcs, I chased after the giants. It was hopeless! I fired an arrow more in anger than chance to hit. They got away with the item. I went back to town sorely winded and there was my ranger buddy, just alive. Just as well I had given her the good berry. I helped her to the healers and they healed her up the best they could.
But her arm was well busted, and she would have to wait since there was so much healing needed. I would have to leave her. We both knew this. It was unsaid, she didn't say anything. I stayed with her for a night. This was magical but our time was limited so we made the most of the time. She ran her hand the shaft and touched the head with her lips. She then took a ribbon out of her hair and split it down the middle and wrapped it around the arrow. She gave it to me lifted in two hands crying. She says that she wants me to have something more than just her love. I take it and watch her make a sister arrow. Now we have a keep sake of this night.
The next day she is no where to be found, I walk out of town with a heavy heart and a feeling of unfinished business. We found horses and rode like the wind. We meet a few odd religious people and like most they were of no use.
We found a village and they asked us, to kill a monster. We couldn't say no. I felt the pull of doing something good. So I got ready to fight. We saw some crocs and thought we will crush them. Then after a few arrows the mother appeared! I put some arrows down its throat and some more hits were piled on and it died. We got the money and felt good. We then had to go into evil land. We were all scared and ready. I pulled the evil side of me and called out to the land, it cried back and showed me massive evil, like I have never felt before. We forted up in an old Fort, and in the middle of the night they attacked! These smelly trogs and a troll, prefect chums . My arrows flew from my hands. The troll charged in and singled me out. I fought the troll and it was too much. It cracked me massive hit, I go down.... And remember no more.... My last words Zindar....

[R6] Storm King's Thunder - Discussion 7 years 5 months ago #1737

• moc
  • Elite Member
And then I woke up... The troll dead and burning.! I had never felt so alive. I realised that more power was pouring into me.! Mylekke was blessing me I felt more able and more magic was with me... Wow

[R6] Storm King's Thunder - Discussion 7 years 5 months ago #1738

• moc
  • Elite Member

This is Ralfeus
Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by moc.
Moderators: Andy Boyne, mikeawmids
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds