Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Tatters of the King

Tatters of the King 1 year 11 months ago #5966

• MellyMel
  • Platinum Member
get well soon jim - i think i shall give it a miss tonight. apologies
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tatters of the King 1 year 11 months ago #5971

• Garuda
  • Platinum Member
Does anybody have or plan to run The Children of Fear campaign? I've got some birthday money in my pocket and I'm thinking of picking this up to run it in the near future.

On another note, I'll post up the summary of the last week of Tatters when I get chance to write it. I'll continue with Tatters hopefully later this year - it my complete in one more rotation.
"Gentlemen, we're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun" - Capt. E. Blackadder.

Tatters of the King 1 year 11 months ago #5972

• Sarge
I picked up the PDF a while back with a view to converting it to run on Foundry VTT. This never happened, and haven’t read it, so would love to play.

If you pick it up I can send you the PDF if you would like it?

Looking forward to reading the forthcoming write up!

Tatters of the King 1 year 11 months ago #5973

• Garuda
  • Platinum Member
Sarge wrote:
I picked up the PDF a while back with a view to converting it to run on Foundry VTT. This never happened, and haven’t read it, so would love to play.

Okay. I'll read some reviews later but will probably purchase it.

EDIT: Bought it.
"Gentlemen, we're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun" - Capt. E. Blackadder.
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Garuda.

Tatters of the King 1 year 11 months ago #5974

• Garuda
  • Platinum Member
VII

Interlude
During December 1928 and January 1929 Blossett is recovering from physical injury and mental ordeal at Inverness before finally being deemed well enough to be discharged and travel south. For the rest of his days Blossett will suffer leg pains, especially on cold days, and a slight limp.

Alexander Roby slips back into his former psychological state and his brother, Grahame, has him committed to Bedlam.

In March 1929, Dr Piper comes across a published paper by Dr Highsmith entitled Sympathetic Manias, which discusses mental disorders being seasonal or tied to the anniversaries of traumatic events. Dr Piper is credited at the end of the paper as one of several sources of assistance. Highsmith leaves St. Agnes Asylum having secured a more prestigious position at a city university and hospital.

As autumn comes around Blossett’s dreams return and he produces ever more disturbing pieces of art.

Cultists
The nucleus of four cultists that commanded your attentions in the last year consisted of Alexander Roby (committed to Bedlam), Lawrence Bacon (deceased), Montague Edwards (presumed dead or at least transported across the cosmos) and Malcolm Quarrie (gone abroad).

Quarrie had quarrelled with the others after the failed attempt to summon Carcosa to Earth at Clare Melford in 1925. It seems all four cultists had very different motives for calling Carcosa. Quarrie left. Quarrie has to be presumed dangerous. You witnessed for yourselves how close the world came to disaster should Carcosa and the King in Yellow come to Earth. No authority is going to help or believe you. Can you afford to ignore the fact that Quarrie is still at large?

Wilfred Gresty
Almost a year to the day that you were last all together in Scotland, you contact each other having read an article in the morning papers of 12th December 1929. Wilfred Gresty has been arrested for breaking and entering, trespass and assault. He broke into Christ Church, Spitalfields and was found at the alter with his hands bleeding. When challenged by the Verger, Gresty pushed him over and ran out. Gresty is to appear before the magistrate later this day.

To be continued...

Tatters of the King 1 year 11 months ago #5975

• Garuda
  • Platinum Member
Gresty Again
In court, Gresty is found guilty of the charges against him and fined £2. The investigators meet Gresty as he exits the court. Realising who you are he thanks you for ridding the world of Bacon and is happy to talk (to an extent) over a drink or two. He’s from a small place called Mercy Hill in the West Country. He’s been in London this last seven years spying on the cult but now it’s time to return home.

Christ Church is built over a plague pit from which the alter draws its true energies and has a spire made from a stone obelisk dedicated to non-Christian deities. Gresty was at Christ Church to say his goodbyes to London by thanking the “British Gods”.

The man who sent Gresty is named Atkinson. Atkinson is old and in poor health. Gresty is looking forward to inheriting the old man’s position soon. Atkinson lays ‘claim’ to the Quarrie woman at Nug’s Farm. This is Hillary Quarrie, Malcolm Quarrie’s estranged wife.

Mercy Hill
It takes some dedicated searching to find a map with Mercy Hill marked on it. Lying in the severn valley on the edge of the Forest of Dean are Mercy Hill, Lower Clotton and three farms including Nug’s Farm. The nearest road (if you can call it that) is a few miles west which passes through the village of Clotton. Locally, this part of the Forest of Dean is known as Goatswood.

An Eerie Bus Ride
You catch a train to Gloucester and stay overnight to catch the 9 a.m. bus (the only bus each day) that travels from Gloucester to Bristol along the isolated road through Clotton. Within minutes of taking the Clotton road you feel like you’ve left civilisation behind. Passing through many holloways with trees and shrubs that brush against both sides of the bus and travelling though tiny settlements of just a few ramshackle stone buildings each. There are no pubs, no shops, no churches, no signs and no evidence of human life. You get off at Clotton and take a footpath east towards Lower Clotton.

The Woods
You walk for ages through overgrown meadows and pass the odd abandoned building and through the edge of the woods that, if you’re reading the OS map right, means the trees have encroached on the farms and fields since the map was drawn. You pass dry-stone walls and ancient farming implements that are probably still the height of sophistication in these parts. You turn from the few cottages you believe to be Lower Clotton and plunge into the woods. The light seems faded in the disorientating woods and walking through becomes an eerie experience. The sound of movement is heard some way to the left and King is certain he glimpsed something not entirely human shadowing you. Eventually, reaching an edge of the tree-line you spy a smallholding in a little valley with smoke drifting up from a chimney.

Nug’s Farm
A woman is working outside the cottage. She has three large dogs, dozens of chickens in coops and a labourer for company. Hillary Quarrie is not pleased to see you (nothing personal). The mention of her husband grants you her attention. She dismisses Will (the labourer) for the day and reluctantly invites you in for tea. Small talk earns you no reward to begin with. The dogs bark. She has more unexpected company.

Hillary and Gresty
Hillary greets Wilfred Gresty in front of her property. Gresty has friends who stand some way behind. Those that look human are disturbingly similar in their features to each other; the rest just look disturbing full stop. Gresty and Hillary have a disagreement, then he and his companions depart. They’ll be back remarks Hillary.

The Power Struggle
The local community worships British Gods (primarily Shub-Niggurath) and is centred around the old man, Atkinson. But some folk are loyal to Hillary who refuses to acknowledge Atkinson as some sort of overlord. Gresty is going to inherit Atkinson’s position and thinks Hillary will accept him (in more ways than one). Gresty will be back tonight to settle the matter once and for all.

Hillary Talks about Malcolm
Hillary’s husband Malcolm, left her four years ago. They still love each other but Malcolm is totally committed to his occult beliefs. He went abroad to pursue them. Hillary digs out a couple of letters. The most recent shows he was in Italy but has moved on again – on a pilgrimage. He mentions the second coming of the King in Yellow. He has made provision for her in his will. If necessary she should contact Thomas Villiers at the shipping office of Giuseppe Colombo in the Naviliqi, Milan.

Midnight Showdown
Just after dark, Will (the labourer) and some other locals loyal to Hillary appear brandishing pitchforks and scythes, but Hillary sends them away. The wait is on. At midnight the dogs bark again. It’s time. A bonfire is lit in the near distance. Gresty’s followers throw one of their companions on it as a sacrifice. Chanting begins. Hillary tells you to be ready. Guns are no good. Grab a chicken each.

The trees begin to bend and snap. Tremors shake the earth. Against the midnight sky an enormous dark figure emerges, stomping from the woods. It has swaying branches or tentacles for what might be its head, and a truncated body of many mouths spewing green ichor. Hillary slashes the necks of the chickens you hold, shouting at you to repeat her ritual words. With relief Hillary’s power turns the beast against its summoners. Terrible scenes and sounds follow as the dark beast tears through Gresty’s companions and then it returns to the Goatswood.

The next morning you leave Nug’s Farm and return to civilisation.
Moderators: Andy Boyne, mikeawmids
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds