Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Too many continuation games?

Too many continuation games? 6 years 8 months ago #2298

• Viggi
  • Heroic Character
Hi, I put the list in as I was expecting the question, not as a list of games I may run, I have no plans to return as I don't think anything will really change.

Happy gaming
The topic has been locked.

Too many continuation games? 6 years 8 months ago #2301

• Andrek
  • Elite Member
Hi Everybody

I am keeping this concise, I could write an essay on this issue.

Thanks Inept, In my opinion you're the first person to suggest some positive contributions to this discussion.

Thanks Viggi, for originally devising the eight week rotation system we use today. It was a massive improvement upon what happened before. It worked well for a while, but now its hit some problems.

Shame on you Viggi, for publicly saying that these problems are insurmountable, after what you did before, and exactly why did you submit a list of games that you have no intention of running?

Thanks Mike for being willing to submit new and interesting games on countless occasions when not enough games have been submitted.

Mike, I agree with many of your points. What you are essentially saying is that its human nature, we can't do anything about it. you might be right but I think that if we don't try and change things the best outcome will be that nothing changes.

Inept: Point 1: I totally agree with no more than two continuation games per rotation. (I would have a special exemption for continuation games that did not reserve slots for previous players - a tricky thing to achieve but I think we have some GM's who have the cunning to achieve this)

Inept: Point 2: I think maximum group size should be 5, not 4. You are right, 4 is actually the optimum group size, but the GM is vulnerable if there are absences and one space can still be kept in reserve for newbies and the gameless. Overlarge groups don't only soak up players but GM's as well, so games which are submitted with more than 5 players or end up more than 6 players I think are unacceptable.

Encouraging new GM's
Sarge: how economically feasible is it to exempt GM's from club fees if they are running a game, instead of having occasional free nights?

What can we do to encourage split rotations(4/4 or whatever) for newbie GM's - or people wanting to try games that are not club staples.

Game Diversity

I want GM's to come forward offering different games. But they shouldn't be be disheartened if they get a poor response from players. GM's may have to pitch quite strongly to attract players to less well known games. My experience is that the experimenter/dilettante GM is something to be avoided. Fancy being a lab rat for 8 weeks? (or less if the GM gets fed up of his own game before you do and abandons the rotation)

Mike: If any new rules on game submissions actually get generally agreed, do you think it is possible to control this by us just not uploading games that don't obey any new rules on the games rotation page?

OK That's a whole lot of stuff for everybody. I am publicly activating my shield brooch....... NOW

Andy
Last Edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Andrek.

Too many continuation games? 6 years 8 months ago #2302

• Andrek
  • Elite Member
Hi Andy

Nice to hear from you hope to see you back at the club as soon as you able.

Andy C

Too many continuation games? 6 years 8 months ago #2304

• mikeawmids
  • Platinum Member
  • Sadly, life can't be all gimps and mayonnaise.
Andrek wrote:
Mike: If any new rules on game submissions actually get generally agreed, do you think it is possible to control this by us just not uploading games that don't obey any new rules on the games rotation page?

I don't see that being a problem. We can continue to use the current rotations sub-forum and just make it real clear if a particular game will not run for the full 4 weeks.

We could also consider reducing the rotations to 6 weeks, instead of 8, from R1 2018. Then we would have 8 rotations a year. More games, smaller groups, more variety, more movement between tables, etc...
Last Edit: 6 years 8 months ago by mikeawmids.

Too many continuation games? 6 years 8 months ago #2305

• Andrek
  • Elite Member
Point 1 - So are you suggesting that we accept game proposals of any length and manage them through the forum . I don't know if I've got it wrong but I think from an organisational point of view, this could get real messy. real quick. I would still want the rotation structure to survive, with no overlapping?

Point 2 - Actually, I did always think that eight weeks was a bit long and I would have preferred 6 weeks myself, right from the start. But what about having Monthly Rotations but now you are allowed to have two in a row, but no more? So you can book January and stand down February, or January Plus February, but have to stand down March/April. OK this leads to more rules, but it might create a more interesting world.
Last Edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Andrek.

Too many continuation games? 6 years 8 months ago #2306

• mikeawmids
  • Platinum Member
  • Sadly, life can't be all gimps and mayonnaise.
Andrek wrote:
Point 1 - So are you suggesting that we accept game proposals of any length and manage them through the forum . I don't know if I've got it wrong but I think from an organisational point of view, this could get real messy. real quick. I would still want the rotation structure to survive, with no overlapping?

Point 2 - Actually, I did always think that eight weeks was a bit long and I would have preferred 6 weeks myself, right from the start. But what about having Monthly Rotations but now you are allowed to have two in a row, but no more? So you can book January and stand down February, or January Plus February, but have to stand down March/April. OK this leads to more rules, but it might create a more interesting world.

Oh no, maybe have the choice between 8/4 weeks, or 6/3 if the duration changes. I do agree that 8 weeks can sometimes begin to drag. I support a change to 6 week rotations. :D

So, as a suggestion for R1 2018 onward...
  • 6 week rotations
  • 4 player max (in initial recruitment stage)
  • No more than 2x continuation games (first posted) in any one rotation.

How does that taste going down?
Maybe we could also look into getting a (cheap, cork) board to take along on Thursday night and encourage people to sign up in person, rather than relying on the website - which some people are more active on than others? I would happily take responsibility for that if it was decided to be a good idea.
Last Edit: 6 years 8 months ago by mikeawmids.
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds