Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Too many continuation games?

Too many continuation games? 4 years 10 months ago #3938

• Sant
  • Platinum Member
How about all games get posted by one person at the same time. However I think this whole issue is a bit of a tough solution. Personally I think I have said this before but call me obstinate but I wouldn't want to be left in a game that doesn't float my boat. I think you might find people not coming because they'd rather not do so than play in a game that they don't like.
I honestly don't see much of a problem with friends playing together alot. Time is precious and many often look forward to playing with specific people every week, what's wrong with that? Let them .
The problem is there is not enough games and folks willing to gm and the solution isn't really spreading players about. I for one would rather not come down than miss out on rubbing Stu's head. Lol. Is the real issue people playing constantly together (really not an issue for me) or not enough GM's. Answer that and you are half way to a solution.
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Sant. Reason: Mobile phone typo
The topic has been locked.

Too many continuation games? 4 years 10 months ago #3939

• Inept
  • Platinum Member
Sant wrote:
The problem is there is not enough games and folks willing to gm and the solution isn't really spreading players about. I for one would rather not come down than miss out on rubbing Stu's head. Lol. Is the real issue people playing constantly together (really not an issue for me) or not enough GM's. Answer that and you are half way to a solution.

And there we have the problem.
DMing games is time consuming, requires preparation, and carries with it the expectation of the players. Speaking for myself, I run games that I have been asked to put together by folks who enjoyed my previous offerings and want to continue, I also find it easier to tailor those games after speaking to the folks that wanted to play them. (notably shadowrun - and yes I know that is still outstanding!). my concern is that adjusting the proposal to force mixing of groups may result in less rather than more games being offered.

That said folks are obviously concerned about this. so crack on and make changes. we can always review later if they don't work.
Red Wine should always be opened and allowed to breathe....

if it doesn't apply mouth to bottle resuscitation.

Too many continuation games? 4 years 10 months ago #3940

• Garuda
  • Platinum Member
Sant wrote:
…..I wouldn't want to be left in a game that doesn't float my boat. I think you might find people not coming because they'd rather not do so than play in a game that they don't like.

This occurred to me too - as soon as I read the initial proposals. I'm in no way opposed to making the club more welcoming for potential new members and encouraging folk to share a table with members they normally don't get to hob-nob with - but - if there is a scramble for places at tables offering traditional fare, leaving tables offering niche games or genres that hold no interest for me, then I would rather sit out the rotation. This would be a shame - I haven't missed single rotation for more than twelve years.
"Gentlemen, we're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun" - Capt. E. Blackadder.

Too many continuation games? 4 years 10 months ago #3941

• mikeawmids
  • Platinum Member
  • Sadly, life can't be all gimps and mayonnaise.
Andrek, Adam, Mel, Andy B, Majikthise, Stew, Ross, Bane, Sant, Sarge, me, Garuda, Eomak, Moc & Tom....

Those are the people who have run/will run games at the club in 2019. I don't think having too few GMs is the problem.

Nobody should be forced to sign up for a game they won't enjoy. You might not get a place in your first choice, but there will be other options. If there is NOTHING else you want to play, you can post your own game as an alternative.

I do agree that 4 weeks before the new rotation is a better timeframe for opening recruitment threads.
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by mikeawmids.

Too many continuation games? 4 years 9 months ago #3942

• Sarge
Ok, here are my views on a few of the comments made so far, sorry for the long post

How about all games get posted by one person at the same time
I don't know how you would co-ordinate this. The idea I have always had is to post up a game up as early as possible in the rotation

Time is precious and many often look forward to playing with specific people every week, what's wrong with that?
Nothing wrong with that if you have friends around your house playing in your dining room or bedroom, but a club environment is different and not (shouldn't be) about silo's of players playing together exclusively

The problem is there is not enough games and folks willing to gm
I would disagree with that, as per info in Mikes post. We should encourage as many games as possible to be available to play

my concern is that adjusting the proposal to force mixing of groups may result in less rather than more games being offered
No one has ever been forced to play a game and it would never happen in the future. The club has been operating in this way for a lot of years. It was because of dwindling numbers, and the same mini groups of players playing the same game for months, that we decided to encourage open play introduce 8 week rotations. The term 'rotations' was chosen to advocate this idea

if there is a scramble for places at tables offering traditional fare, leaving tables offering niche games or genres that hold no interest for me
I'm not sure why there would be a scramble to be honest. Don't we talk about the games we love to play or run at the club any more? Have we really got to a place where the only discussions around games occur when they are posted up?

Defining ways to administrate the games proposals online doesn't preclude people talking about the games they would like to play or run, this garners interest and promotes variety.

Also, there isn't any restriction on how many games get posted. It would be great to see lots of games posted up, not just 3 or 4, you would then have a variety if games to choose from or still be able to post your own game up if nothing appeals. If there is little or no interest in the game you have posted, you still have plenty of time to sign up for something else

I do agree that 4 weeks before the new rotation is a better time-frame for opening recruitment threads
I agree. 4 weeks definitely sounds like a more realistic time-frame (I've adjusted my post accordingly)

probably time to don my tin hat and duck...
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Sarge.

Too many continuation games? 4 years 9 months ago #3943

• Garuda
  • Platinum Member
Sarge wrote:
probably time to don my tin hat and duck...

You wear a tin hat and a duck?
"Gentlemen, we're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun" - Capt. E. Blackadder.
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds