Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Gary

Gary 5 years 9 months ago #3147

• Mr. B
  • Elite Member
I very recently approached the Crescent Theatre about it, but they would want about £850 excluding VAT, for a 24 hour period, which I don't think we could collectively afford. So, we need to look for alternative locations...
The topic has been locked.

Gary 5 years 9 months ago #3151

• Cariryn
  • Heroic Character
Please keep me updated on a Gazathon if you are able to arrange! :)

Gary 5 years 9 months ago #3152

• Andrek
  • Elite Member
Hi Everybody,

My thoughts on this are as follows:~

Define the Scope of the Gazathon
How Long? How Many sessions? How many Days? How Many Games/GM's? Do we need access to food and drink? Are we hoping to sleep?

Do We limit ourselves to Birmingham/Midland Area, or is travel an option.

Timing
Do we want this as a Summer or winter event or is there going to be an element of an anniversary about it

Outsider Access
How happy are we to have people participating in this event who have no connection to BCRPS?

My Suggestions:

Coronation Club?

Function Room in Local Pub/Hotel

Open Gaming rooms at Gamesexpo? - there seemed to be plenty of space available there, and many members go anyway, also the hotel facilities are available to everybody - if a little pricey! (don't order a red wine from the Foyer Bar)

Take over a Leisure resort? Out of season leisure resorts can be very reasonably priced. Do games in the Chalets/Caravans or make arrangements with the managemant to run them in the bars/restaurants (they'd be insane not to agree). My model for this is ConTingency - runs in January/Norfolk,

OK I've thrown hat into the ring - over to you to tell my why I am terminally insane to have these ideas

Gary 5 years 9 months ago #3153

• Mr. B
  • Elite Member
Define the Scope of the Gazathon
How Long? How Many sessions? How many Days? How Many Games/GM's? Do we need access to food and drink? Are we hoping to sleep?
  • Initial thought was 24 hours, over the course of a weekend (to avoid most folks having to book time off work).
  • Games, GMs is something we can arrange once we've secured a room and date.
  • Fodder would be self -catering/ takeaways I would have thought (Pizza?!). Sleep is for tortoises.
Do We limit ourselves to Birmingham/Midland Area, or is travel an option.
  • I think Birmingham/ Midlands is more agreeable, to make transport easier for folks in the club.
Timing
Do we want this as a Summer or winter event or is there going to be an element of an anniversary about it
  • Not time of year dependent. Would like to do it before 2018 is done.
Outsider Access
How happy are we to have people participating in this event who have no connection to BCRPS?
  • Think it should be a BCRPS thing, initially, just to make it more easier to manage. Clearly, there are old club members who knew Gaz and may wish to be invited so it should extend to them also. If successful then we could look at it being a yearly thing, and invite others to join.
My Suggestions:
Coronation Club?
  • On my to-do list to call! Might be difficult to book, as I can imagine most weekends are taken - but worth a shot.
Function Room in Local Pub/Hotel
  • Could do. Doug mentioned this the other day, so again worth a look.
Open Gaming rooms at Gamesexpo? - there seemed to be plenty of space available there, and many members go anyway, also the hotel facilities are available to everybody - if a little pricey! (don't order a red wine from the Foyer Bar)
  • Spoke to Paddy about this a good few months ago. They want to see how the initial one goes, before considering it being part of their programme.
Take over a Leisure resort? Out of season leisure resorts can be very reasonably priced. Do games in the Chalets/Caravans or make arrangements with the management to run them in the bars/restaurants (they'd be insane not to agree). My model for this is ConTingency - runs in January/Norfolk,
  • Interesting - could you have a look?
  • Re: location, it'll all be about price. The reason why the Crescent is currently off the table is because we can't afford to do it at the prices they've suggested - and that was reduced.
OK I've thrown hat into the ring - over to you to tell my why I am terminally insane to have these ideas
  • Irrespective of your ideas, you've always been and always will be insane. Fact! ;)

Gary 5 years 9 months ago #3154

• mikeawmids
  • Platinum Member
  • Sadly, life can't be all gimps and mayonnaise.
Leaving my self-imposed exile for a moment, does it have to be in a brick and mortar building? The camping website Pitchup.com has many lovely fields where we could pay a pittance to put up a few large tents (if anyone has a tent) and game.

For example: Dinthill Farm Campsite [www.pitchup.com/campsites/England/Centra...e=2018-09-01&type=4&], 10 mins from the safari park in Kiddi. £15:00 per night for a 5 man pitch. Toilets and showers on site. Say we booked two nights (Sat and Sun) to allow for the 24 hour target (some campsites insist you leave by a certain time).

15x2=30/5= =£6.0 per head.
Say we book two or three pitches (assuming we have enough tents between us) and have two/three groups of 4 players + 1GM.

Only concern is we would have to avoid being too raucous as there may be other campers there trying to sleep, but we may be able to pitch tents far enough away that there would be no issue.

If the weather is fine and not too windy, we could play outside by the light of paraffin lamps (or we could upgrade to an electric pitch for £17:00 per night) and retreat inside tents if the weather is uncooperative.

I have a four man tent, but probably not big enough to game inside.
Last Edit: 5 years 9 months ago by mikeawmids.

Gary 5 years 9 months ago #3156

• Garuda
  • Platinum Member
If the thought is to hire a place overnight I can suggest a couple of accommodation ideas. I've stayed at both these places before on several occasions (a few years ago now):

Anybody's Barn in the country side near Leominster, close to the Malverns is currently £23 per person per night (£180 minimum for a one night stay). Sleeps upto twenty.
Anybody's Barn

Big Mose near Quat right next to Duddmaston Hall (not far from where the Old Stew Pony used to be). Again sleeps upwards of twenty. Minimum stay is two nights though and I didn't see a cost. Don't imagine cost would be too high though.
www.nationaltrust.org.uk/holidays/big-mose-bunkhouse-shropshire

Edit: And another one...

Bilberry Hill. I haven't stayed at this one. Don't know what it's like. I know people who have stayed and it served their purpose well. Doesn't look as comfortable as the above suggestion but location wise it's only up the Lickeys - right on our doorstep (well practically on mine anyway). Apparently enough room to sleep an entire orc clan with all parts of the building(s) in use. Site says it costs £12.75+vat per person per night.
www.groupaccommodation.com/properties/bi...rshire-west-midlands
"Gentlemen, we're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun" - Capt. E. Blackadder.
Last Edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Garuda.
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds