• Garuda
  • Platinum Member
FOURTH CRUSADE 1204

Andre of Troyes………....Frankish Knight…..............…Paul
Reynaud of Flanders…...Frankish Knight…..................Doug
Brother David……………Frankish, Cistercian monk….Jim
Gilles de la Grave...........Frankish Knight. Heretic........Mel

Wednesday 13th April 1204

Constantinople: We are in the entourage of our liege Baldwin of Flanders and have been together since Zara. The sack of Zara didn’t sit well with Andre and Brother David, but Reynaud relishes all opportunities to blood his sword and plunder.

The attack on Constantinople begins. Brother David is in the vanguard of the assault against the lower walls. Reynaud and Andre, happier on horseback, are waiting for their transport ship to beach. Once ashore the cavalry is quick to form up and charge. The fighting against the Byzantine Greeks is long, bloody and arduous but when the day is done victory is ours and we enter the city in triumph. We camp at the Blachernae Palace. The sack of Constantinople is beginning.

[In the very first round of combat, due to failed ride rolls at the start of our charge, both Andre and Reynaud fell off their horses, dropping their lances and clattering to the ground on their arses wearing chain armour. After all the knightly posturing and charging medieval cavalry noises, it’s not quite the start we hoped for].

Factions

>Venetians: Under the command of Doge Enrico Dandolo. Despite being 90 years of age and blind, Dandolo fought in the vanguard amongst his men. The Venetians make camp at the Church of Christ, Pantocrater.
>Franks: Marquis Boniface of Montferrat leads the Crusade. He camps at the Boukoleon Palace. Boniface is cousin to Philip of Swabia, the king of Germany.
>Baldwin of Flanders: Part of the Frankish contingent. Baldwin is our liege lord. We are camped with Baldwin and his brother, Henry of Flanders, at the imperial Blachernae Palace in the northwest of Constantinople.
>Europeans: There are many other crusaders camped in the city from all over Europe, including English, Pisans and other Italians, Varangians and more.
>Pope Innocent III: The pope remains in Rome but has spies in every camp of the crusader army.

Thursday 14th April 1204

The city is in disorder. Drunken crusaders are pillaging the city and treating the Greek civilians with cruelty. We are summoned to the hall of the Blachernae Palace for an audience with our liege, Count Baldwin….
"Gentlemen, we're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun" - Capt. E. Blackadder.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Garuda.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Horror on the Orient Express - All Rotations 2 years 2 months ago #5785

• Garuda
  • Platinum Member
Fourth Crusade

The Sack of Constantinople, 12th-15th April 1204
At the sack of Constantinople, despite their oaths, the Latin Christians of the west perpetrated terrible acts against the Greek Christians of the east. For three days the crusaders subjected the greatest city in Europe to an indescribable orgy of murder, rape, robbery and destruction on an unprecedented scale. Many ancient Greco-Roman and medieval Byzantine works of art were stolen or ruined. Much of the civilian population of the city was butchered and their property looted. Despite the threat of excommunication, the crusaders destroyed, defiled and looted the city's churches and monasteries. The Venetians engaged in looting too. However, Doge Dandolo exerted a great measure of control. Rather than engaging in wanton destruction, his men stole religious relics and works of art to take back to Venice to adorn their churches.

Call to the Cross
Pope Innocent III called the Fourth Crusade in 1202. A fleet to transport the crusader army to Egypt would be required. Venice was contracted to build a fleet. It took a year to complete, during which time the aged and blinded Venetian leader, Doge Enrico Dandolo, put the city’s own commercial interests on hold; though a great sum of money had been pledged as payment for the fleet and supplying the necessary sailors.

Republic of Venice
In 1203 the crusader army assembled. Only about a third of the expected numbers arrived at Venice. This meant a lot of time and resources had been wasted in building a fleet much bigger than would now be needed. Worse still, the army was too small to raise the necessary funds to pay the Venetians.

Zara
The Adriatic city-port of Zara (Zadar) is a wealthy merchant state that was once under the control of Venice until it broke free of Venetian influence and placed itself under the protection of the King of Hungary. Now, Dandolo had the means to take revenge. For Venice to release the fleet to the crusader army, the crusaders must first agree to attack Zara. This would be the first attack of a crusading army against a Christian city. The army would have to agree or face the prospect of abandoning the crusade. Zara was put to the sword. Pope Innocent III was appalled and excommunicated the army, only to relent later.

Boniface meets the Byzantine Prince
Revenge complete, the Venetian Doge, Dandolo, is still fuming about not being paid. Crusade leader, Marquis Boniface of Montferrat, visits his cousin Philip of Swabia and meets with Prince Alexios Angelos, who resides in exile at Philip’s court. Prince Alexios, son of the deposed Isaac II, has the wealth to pay the debt to the Venetians in full and invest in the crusader army too. All Boniface has to do is topple the reigning Byzantine emperor, Alexios III, and have Prince Alexios crowned in his uncle’s place as Alexios IV.

Constantinople here we come
Crusader confidence restored and Venetians placated with the promise of funds, the army departs Zara for Constantinople in June 1203. A number of crusaders had abandoned the army at Zara and departed directly for the holy land after becoming appalled by the army’s sacking of a Christian city. But the crusader army’s ranks were swelled by new arrivals from Europe to take the cross. The venture to Constantinople would culminate in the sack of the city in 1204. The Fourth Crusade ended here, at the scene of the butchery of Christendom by warring Christians.

Byzantine Emperors Alexios III, IV and V
Isaac II Angelos ruled 1185-1195 and 1203-1204
Alexios III Angelos ruled 1195-1203
Alexios IV Angelos ruled 1203-1204
Alexios V Doukas ruled 1204

Alexios III Angelos reigned in Constantinople after deposing his brother, Isaac II. Isaac’s son (Prince Alexios Angelos) fled to Germany for refuge at the court of his brother-in-law, Philip of Swabia in 1201.

Crusade leader, Marquis Boniface of Montferrat meets with Prince Alexios and agrees, for significant payment, to topple the prince’s uncle, Emperor Alexios III, and place the prince on the Byzantine throne as Alexios IV.

In July 1203 the crusaders attacked Constantinople. Alexios III escaped and fled to Thrace. Alexios IV was crowned as promised by the crusaders, albeit having to compromise as being crowned as co-emperor along with his restored father, Isaac II, who was the more popular choice amongst city officials. Alexios IV was disliked by the masses and after Isaac II died he was deposed and executed in February 1204 by the imperial chamberlain Alexios Doukas. Doukas was crowned Alexios V. Alexios V ruled for only a few weeks. He fled during sack of Constantinople in April 1204.

So - Isaac II and Alexios III are brothers. Alexios IV is Isaac’s son and Alexios III’s nephew. Alexios V is no relation. Simples.
"Gentlemen, we're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun" - Capt. E. Blackadder.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Garuda.

Horror on the Orient Express - All Rotations 2 years 2 months ago #5793

• Sarge
Wow, 3 posts!. A session write-up covering 2 era's and an history lesson...

Feel like the only thing appropriate is a bonus dice and to tick a skill of your choice Paul
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Sarge.

Horror on the Orient Express - All Rotations 2 years 2 months ago #5794

• Sarge
No Tony again tonight unfortunately, he's a poorly boy (not COVID)

Best wishes for a speedy recovery my friend

Horror on the Orient Express - All Rotations 2 years 2 months ago #5795

• JIm
  • Heroic Character
An excerpt from the diary of Brother David, a Cisercian monk from the 13th century. The original is in Latin and the translation is my own. The diary is fragile with the deep scars of battle etched across its leather cover. Inside are the accounts of Brother David as he sacked the city of Constantinople and be warned they make for a harrowing read.

- HP

Fiery sun at noon as we stormed the city walls, I could hear my brothers in arms charging before me in a valiant effort to capture the great city of Constantinople. Bodies of men, of women, of children lay tattered before my feet as we cleaved our way through the streets. My god whispers to me that I am doing his just work through liberation and force although it pains me to see the children taken so young.

I was able to find a safe haven to sleep away from the noise of pillaging…although a Frank myself, damn if these men do not seem to pillage for the sake of it. Lord forgive them…

My body is weary from the fighting yet my mind aflame with the call of the chthonic, drawn as I often am to the works of our enemy in the dark, I sense a great evil in this place. Sleep awaits me on this most historic of days, dreams will befall me soon, please let me dream of my rolling hills of Citeaux. The whispers are back…
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by JIm.

Horror on the Orient Express - All Rotations 2 years 2 months ago #5796

• Sarge
Brilliant Jim, I think you deserve a bonus die and to tick skill of your choice too

Keep these posts coming!
Moderators: Andy Boyne, mikeawmids
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds