Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Horror on the Orient Express - All Rotations

Horror on the Orient Express - All Rotations 2 years 1 month ago #5828

• Garuda
  • Platinum Member
The Red Knight

The Red Knight of Rhodos is a rare 14th century work of literature written by an anonymous author. The book is written about a valiant knight who died a century before and is reputedly entombed somewhere on the Mediterranean island of Rhodes. Historical accounts describe a tall Frankish knight, wearing livery which the learned say included a small tell-tale icon identifying him as a member of the secretive Order of the Noble Shield.

The Red Knight’s armour encompassed his body entirely, including a mask for his face. Some accounts believe this was to make him look fierce before his enemies. Other accounts tell of a man marked by an affliction, which the armour is designed to hide. An affliction so terrible that his red-raw skin is gruesome to behold. An incurable affliction which brings death. Only by the divine power of prayer, or magic some would say, could the knight prolong his existence long enough to fulfil his destiny - to deny heretical rites and artefacts to the worshippers of ungodly cults.

The Red Knight is supposedly buried with a number of powerful occult artefacts that he gathered in life, or so the legends would have us believe. The legends also tell us that if ever his tomb should be disturbed and the artefacts taken for evil intent, the Red Knight’s spirit will rise and the robbers, should they flee to the very ends of the earth, will be hunted down and their lives made forfeit. The ghost of the Red Knight will re-gather the stolen artefacts and return them to his tomb. A tomb marked with the name – Andre.

The book of course, is nothing but a story.
"Gentlemen, we're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun" - Capt. E. Blackadder.
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Garuda.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Horror on the Orient Express - All Rotations 2 years 1 month ago #5829

• JIm
  • Heroic Character
Fantastic read Paul and bravo throughout for the writeups.

Horror on the Orient Express - All Rotations 2 years 1 month ago #5831

• Garuda
  • Platinum Member
JIm wrote:
Fantastic read Paul and bravo throughout for the writeups.

Thanks Jim.

And just one more post to finish 1204, confirming the historical fates of the following characters:-

Enrico Dandolo
At Zara, the blind and aged Doge of Venice was convinced of the need to divert the energies of the Fourth Crusade towards Constantinople. This was in order for Boniface I of Montferrat, as leader of the Crusade, to secure the necessary funds needed to pay off the Venetians for their services. During the sack of Constantinople, Dandolo had many items of value sent back to Venice, including the four horses that were destined to adorn St. Mark’s Basilica.

When the Byzantine Emperor Alexios V fled, the Crusaders opted to offer Dandolo the Imperial throne. Dandolo declined. In May 1205, a year after the sacking of the city, Dandolo died at Constantinople, and is buried at the Hagia Sophia.

Boniface I of Montferrat
After the conquest of Constantinople in 1204, Boniface became a leading choice to be crowned as the new Emperor. However, the Venetians refused to accept his election. Boniface simply had too many connections to the Byzantine court which would diminish the Latin west’s hopes of exerting influence and control. Boniface instead went on to found the Kingdom of Thessalonica. Boniface was killed in a Bulgarian ambush in 1207 and his head sent to the Bulgarian Tsar Kaloyan.

Count Baldwin of Flanders
After Enrico Dandolo refused the offer of the Byzantine crown, the choice fell between Boniface of Montferrat and Baldwin of Flanders. Montferrat was overlooked in favour Baldwin. Baldwin, a young, gallant and virtuous leader, was highly popular amongst the Crusader host. With Venetian support he was elected and then crowned on 16th May 1204 at the Hagia Sophia.

At the Battle of Adrianople, 14th April 1205, the Franks and their allies were defeated, and Baldwin was captured by their Bulgarian enemies. Though reputedly he was initially well-treated, Baldwin’s fate was uncertain. Not until the summer of 1206 was it discovered that he was dead. The circumstances of his death remain shrouded in mystery.
One legend reports that Tsar Kaloyan of Bulgaria had Baldwin’s skull made into a drinking cup.

Baldwin’s brother, Henry of Flanders, succeeded him to the Byzantine throne.
"Gentlemen, we're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun" - Capt. E. Blackadder.
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Garuda.

Horror on the Orient Express - All Rotations 2 years 1 month ago #5832

• Sarge
You have excelled yourself Paul!. A great write up of the concluding episode. Love ‘The Red Knight’, too good to not utilise in some way in the future. And a detailed historical footnote of the major players in the story.

As a reward, Dr Ludvig receive 2 automatic improvement rolls of your choice.

Thanks Tony, really happy you enjoyed it, as I hope the other players did too.

I hope to return to the game later in the the year, perhaps rotation 4

A massive thank you to all the players, there were truly some memorable moments that made it really enjoyable to run
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Sarge.

Horror on the Orient Express - All Rotations 2 years 1 month ago #5833

• Mr. B
  • Elite Member
Loved joining into, all too brief though it was! Paul - fantastic write-ups, that I’d loved reading!

Let me know when the next time you’ll be playing is, and hopefully I can pop in again, to harass Tony…!

Horror on the Orient Express - All Rotations 2 years 1 month ago #5834

• JIm
  • Heroic Character
What follows is the last extract I managed to salvage from the diary of Brother David, a 13th century monk, his time during the sacking of Constantinople and his subsequent years back at the Abbey of Cîteaux. Much of the diary has been lost to the ravages of time with considerable burning to the pages I was able to find. I cannot say why this diary may have been burnt, perhaps for warmth in an interminable winter, perhaps by vandals, perhaps even by Brother David himself in an effort to conceal some hidden mystery. The page I translate here has suffered much burn damage but, from what I have gleaned, it must have been written in the last days of Brother Davids life.

PS. The brother Merovic that David mentions is still a mystery to me and I have not managed to confirm much of what happened in constantinople. It is as if a great cloud of unknowing hangs over Brother Davids exploits for reasons I cannot fathom.

Year of our Lord 1234, Abbaye Notre-Dame de Cîteaux

I have tried to live a good life, a just life, a life filled with god and through god. As I look back on my long years I can be thankful for the time afforded me. Time that was not afforded to friends and brothers of mine. Although my life is near at end and I await paradise, if that can be counted on, I inscribe here my last thoughts on my time in Constantinople. What I saw there has plagued my waking thoughts, corrupted my dreams, saddened my heart but steeled my soul. Steeled it against evil in its most malignant, putrid essence. I speak of brother Merovic. After the horrors in that accursed city, myself and the order of the noble shield had attempted to track that tainted man down, but alas, to no avail. It is with a heavy heart that I write here that the Simulacram remains in the hands of the enemy. May this be a warning, perhaps too late, to anyone who finds this tome. Do not trust the man in the tattered habit who shuns the sun…

Its here the page is too burned to continue my translation and I am left with more questions than answers. Who was brother Merovic? What is the simulacram? Finallly, was Brother David ever to find the peace he yearned for? His tale is over but I fear the story he found himself in will rumble on. - HPL
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by JIm.
Moderators: Andy Boyne, mikeawmids
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds